So what’s the deal with other sites on social media that are full of bad advice?

Kat_72

Established Member
So in the process of selling my babies I joined groups on social media like someone suggested. What I have found is that the moderators there are full of bad advice and won’t listen to reason.

It makes it hard to help anyone when a authority figure so to speak rages against sound advice as incorrect and then gives advice that is backwards to the right way to do something.

I had a woman call me very eager to buy a chameleon and she didn’t stop talking while explaining how experienced she was. She went on to describe her enclosure for her other chameleon a veiled and to tell me of the waterfalls etc. The waterfalls or drinking fountains she is talking about are not advised to my knowledge anyway. She told me a moderator of the site was so helpful in helping her get all the right equipment.
After 15 minutes of her talking I excused myself to get a child off the bus while shaking my head at the waterfall and all that bacteria at the ready. Maybe I am wrong. But I know I wouldn’t risk it. Last week someone posted a bunch of photos of said water falls and the comments of all the people commenting with I got mine made me a little queasy.

Can I just say I am thankful for this forum! From day one before I got my first chameleon I was researching here. A lot of things seemed dated but it was still relevant. I have learned here and been helped here with sound advice.

My next rant is this why are so many people selling chameleons so cheap. It effects the entire breeding community. I think for a standard of care that is invested into raising up even one clutch the price should be fair to the existing breeders by not selling 5 babies for 250.00. Then that person flips them and so on. But it’s there I see it with people who haggle for a lower price and get upset because so and so sold theirs for 150.00. So then the bar is lowered the standard is lessened.

My babies have been hand raised with what is equal to a full time job in time and work...at least I feel like it has with hand misting cleaning daily keeping feeders going and then raising all the insects. That factors in to overall price. Right?

Also I know what I paid for my stock that I bred to create these babies. The lineage is there for a good reason. I will reinvest what I make back into my chameleons and it just makes sense to not undercut your line. Plus I watched Bill Strands podcast here—> https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-93-pricing-baby-chameleons/
So with all that I’ll end my rambling on the subject because I know you all are educated in all of this anyway. It just is frustrating. I can’t see one more post about a sick chameleon sleeping with a caption my chameleon sleeps so cute in the daytime for his naps, or my chameleon loves me so much he runs out of his cage when I open the door. Just NO!
Thank you for listening lol

I would say don't devalue your babies. Just because someone asks you to sell it to them for whatever price doesn't mean you have to. The people that are selling them cheap are not really always in the right care pattern .They are more about moving qty to make quick money. The chams to them are just dollar signs instead of family like the people here. I have seen Panthers go for all sorts of prices and some can be cheap but you have no idea what your getting. I plan on getting mine from a well known breeder (@Matt Vanilla Gorilla ) who takes care of the babies like they are that babies not cash. Just like you care for your babies make sure the buyer will too. I would say make sure they believe in the same lifestyle you do. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and I have a similar mindset on handling and stuff so he is a perfect fit for me.

As for the fountain thing I have seen a lot of times it works but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. Haha.

So in the process of selling my babies I joined groups on social media like someone suggested. What I have found is that the moderators there are full of bad advice and won’t listen to reason.

It makes it hard to help anyone when a authority figure so to speak rages against sound advice as incorrect and then gives advice that is backwards to the right way to do something.

I had a woman call me very eager to buy a chameleon and she didn’t stop talking while explaining how experienced she was. She went on to describe her enclosure for her other chameleon a veiled and to tell me of the waterfalls etc. The waterfalls or drinking fountains she is talking about are not advised to my knowledge anyway. She told me a moderator of the site was so helpful in helping her get all the right equipment.
After 15 minutes of her talking I excused myself to get a child off the bus while shaking my head at the waterfall and all that bacteria at the ready. Maybe I am wrong. But I know I wouldn’t risk it. Last week someone posted a bunch of photos of said water falls and the comments of all the people commenting with I got mine made me a little queasy.

Can I just say I am thankful for this forum! From day one before I got my first chameleon I was researching here. A lot of things seemed dated but it was still relevant. I have learned here and been helped here with sound advice.

My next rant is this why are so many people selling chameleons so cheap. It effects the entire breeding community. I think for a standard of care that is invested into raising up even one clutch the price should be fair to the existing breeders by not selling 5 babies for 250.00. Then that person flips them and so on. But it’s there I see it with people who haggle for a lower price and get upset because so and so sold theirs for 150.00. So then the bar is lowered the standard is lessened.

My babies have been hand raised with what is equal to a full time job in time and work...at least I feel like it has with hand misting cleaning daily keeping feeders going and then raising all the insects. That factors in to overall price. Right?

Also I know what I paid for my stock that I bred to create these babies. The lineage is there for a good reason. I will reinvest what I make back into my chameleons and it just makes sense to not undercut your line. Plus I watched Bill Strands podcast here—> https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-93-pricing-baby-chameleons/
So with all that I’ll end my rambling on the subject because I know you all are educated in all of this anyway. It just is frustrating. I can’t see one more post about a sick chameleon sleeping with a caption my chameleon sleeps so cute in the daytime for his naps, or my chameleon loves me so much he runs out of his cage when I open the door. Just NO!
Thank you for listening lol

*vomit* I’ve been hearing a lot about these other sites and the standards they set for their chameleons. I’m just thankful for the chameleon forums because there’s no better place for advice than here.

Easy come easy go! A low value item has low value and is hard to treasure! Life has the highest value! Love gives life meaning! Patience always pays off! Nothing worth doing is easy! There will be up's and down's! Time will tell! Hold on to all that is precious tightly and it will gain more value! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! People want what they can not have! Wisdom comes to those who treasure it and seek hard to find it!

And yeah, chameleonforums.com freaking rock!

Be patient your chameleon babies will sell to the people who will value them from the marvels they are! Don't get discourged! Just love them for the short time that they are with you! Soon they will be gone to their forever homes!

Sincerely
Matt

What? you don't even know every tree in nature that has a chameleon also has a waterfall ????! o_O

But this place is the best! Even @Decadancin can't make it suck eventho he triest SO hard!
We have a lot of awesome peeps here like ME that all contribute in their own way to keep up the standards and help evolve the hobby in a responsible way... Did I already mention I'm awesome! Well I am.
And yes, I could go summing up every awesome guy/gal in this chameleon loving place but out of fear of forgetting some of the assets I'll just stick to me.

Easy come easy go! A low value item has low value and is hard to treasure! Life has the highest value! Love gives life meaning! Patience always pays off! Nothing worth doing is easy! There will be up's and down's! Time will tell! Hold on to all that is precious tightly and it will gain more value! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! People want what they can not have! Wisdom comes to those who treasure it and seek hard to find it!

Be patient your chameleon babies will sell to the people who will value them from the marvels they are! Don't get discourged! Just love them for the short time that they are with you! Soon they will be gone to their forever homes!

Sincerely
Matt
Cliche much?!:p

What? you don't even know every tree in nature that has a chameleon also has a waterfall ????! o_O

But this place is the best! Even @Decadancin can't make it suck eventho he triest SO hard!
We have a lot of awesome peeps here like ME that all contribute in their own way to keep up the standards and help evolve the hobby in a responsible way... Did I already mention I'm awesome! Well I am.
And yes, I could go summing up every awesome guy/gal in this chameleon loving place but out of fear of forgetting some of the assets I'll just stick to me.
So many of them from Madagascar! You sound a lot like king Julian! Haha! Are you sure that you are not from Madagascar the movie @Remkon ;):):p:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

I will try harder, but just for you! (y)

As for everyone else, an extra vacation day this year to use whenever they want, just not you @Remkon :p.

(legal disclaimer... This vacation day cannot be used in conjunction with any other Chameleon Forums promotion or discount. Use of this day is at your own risk. If you do use this day and feel compelled to visit the site during the day, all remaining balance of vacation day is void and cannot be combined with other days or used as a partial day. No monetary value is associated with this prize, and it cannot be cashed in or traded for goods or services. Please rub it in to Remkon because he does not have access to this privilege and will not know how much fun we are having if we don't tell him to make him jealous. All Forum Staff members will receive two additional days at double pay. These can be used together or separate. Also, they can be used as partial days if desired. My Rules, I make them up... )

As for everyone else, an extra vacation day this year to use whenever they want, just not you @Remkon :p.

(legal disclaimer... This vacation day cannot be used in conjunction with any other Chameleon Forums promotion or discount. Use of this day is at your own risk. If you do use this day and feel compelled to visit the site during the day, all remaining balance of vacation day is void and cannot be combined with other days or used as a partial day. No monetary value is associated with this prize, and it cannot be cashed in or traded for goods or services. Please rub it in to Remkon because he does not have access to this privilege and will not know how much fun we are having if we don't tell him to make him jealous. All Forum Staff members will receive two additional days at double pay. These can be used together or separate. Also, they can be used as partial days if desired. My Rules, I make them up... )

Yea... people should definately trust you...:cautious:

161458691_79d1a5.jpg

I would say don't devalue your babies. Just because someone asks you to sell it to them for whatever price doesn't mean you have to. The people that are selling them cheap are not really always in the right care pattern .They are more about moving qty to make quick money. The chams to them are just dollar signs instead of family like the people here. I have seen Panthers go for all sorts of prices and some can be cheap but you have no idea what your getting. I plan on getting mine from a well known breeder (@Matt Vanilla Gorilla ) who takes care of the babies like they are that babies not cash. Just like you care for your babies make sure the buyer will too. I would say make sure they believe in the same lifestyle you do. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and I have a similar mindset on handling and stuff so he is a perfect fit for me.

As for the fountain thing I have seen a lot of times it works but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. Haha.
I’ve spoken to Matt earlier about some of his babies. Yes he’s

YES! When I was researching to buy my Chameleons it was key to get good animals not that I even wanted to breed them back then mind you. As time went on and I got more confident in husbandry and that joy my guys and girl brought me I just wanted to clone them for myself lol. I am so glad I did. I’m not a quitter Never has been a motto for the things I am most passionate about. I totally agree about Matt we have spoken and he’s fantastic. Those of us who love what we are doing go the whole way to the end. I hope to be doing in ten years what I am doing now but with more to offer as a whole. I agree with you on everything you said. Thank you

0210750F-8DFB-4AF6-8498-C2DE1C7F9051.jpeg
Seriously my trip to Lowe’s yesterday for cage materials. They had the silver window screen frame for .99 cents and that vanity was 24.00 lol. Gotta get those girls a home built. I am also putting up new outside cages for the kids! Yay!

Sincerely
Matt
All good words my friend! I’m not worried I have room and cages lol. I’ll keep them as long as I have to. I figured when I counted those eggs and watched them grow I should be prepared either way.

Lol yes the help is here I know! Love this site and the people I have gotten to know here.:)

Well that escalated quickly. Hahaha I like the higher price weeds out the less committed. I feel the same way when I see people buying chams and they say how expensive they are. Nobody told them they had to buy a Cham. If they were truly passionate they would know the chances of vet bills and the husbandry needs. I feel that's why veiled can get the short end of the owner stick since their cost is low people will gamble with them and know nothing about them. Then they get a terrible cage and some other medical issue. Poor babies.

That disclaimer is hilarious.

No really though how do I get in on that double paid day off thing so I can rub in to @Remkon .:cool:

Back
Top Bottom