So skinny!!!

MrColors

Hello
My Jackson's (age unknown) looks so skinny sometimes. I'll go in in the morning and his entire torso looks like an even, skinny cyllinder. The skin on his stomach will have wrinkles and little folds. I look down, and there is a HUGE pile of poo at the bottom that hadn't been there last night--up to three pieces of poop!
I'll feed him as much as he'll eat, and he seems to eat so well (especially butterflies, his favorite; not too fond of crickets) and then his tummy looks fuller. But should it look that extreme when he isn't hungry??
I don't know what to do! I have all the right lights on him, I just ordered an AquaZamp Raindone system and am religiously misting and dripping water on him until it arrives, I feed him: cabbage butterflies, moths, grasshoppers, crickets, superworms, and am making an attempt with silkworm cocoons. He recently passed the poo test for parasites with flying colors.
Is there anything I can do to give him a little boost? I saw a female Jackson's in a pet store yesterday and she was so plump and full--what's wrong with Mr. Colors??!!:(:confused::eek:

I'll feed him as much as he'll eat, and he seems to eat so well

Then I don't wonder about your feeding problem. That's a lot too much. Chameleons will eat so much more than needed if you let them. They're wild animals and nature doesn't always offer enough insects. So a chameleon always takes as much as it can - your chameleon doesn't know there will be no lack of food the next days...

Chameleons always look "skinny". You can always see their ribs, the tips of the vertebrae and their hip bones, that's totally normal. They store their fat in abdominal fat pads and due to those nice natural inventions, they can stay days and even weeks without food. You will not notice your chameleon becoming fat until it's too late. Even a really fat chameleon can flatten its body to somewhat like a small leaf ;). So you need to prevent him from fat liver and renal failure by cutting down feeding. Then I'm sure he will eat all offered feeders again, too.

A plump looking female usually seems to carry eggs. Males don't get that thick round body shapes.

Oh, wow, thank you!!! So, how much exactly should I feed him every day?

I feel so silly, as feeding is such a basic and vital concept, but I figure it's better to ask and look silly than to not ask and have an ill animal.

Post a pic of your Jackson. Many times they will stretch their body out when trying to maximize the uvb/uv intake when basking. This could make them look skinny. Post a high resolution pic of him so we can determine if he looks healthy or not. You should also fill out the "how to ask for help" so that way we can get an idea of your entire care for him. If he was WC I don't want to get you worried but he could have parasites that could make him skinny even though he is eating a lot. That is why it is very important to get him tested at the vet for parasites.

Fill this out as much as possible.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom