SO scared of me

Ag.parks

Hi! I had a quick question about taming my cham? Today I was handfeeding her, I started two days ago with mealworms and she is slowly getting more comfortable with me. Today I was feeding her and she set one hand on my finger and caught the worm. My main goal is to get her all the way on my arm, but she’s being so complicated omg. After trying a couple of times more I put a sock on one of my hands (so that I wouldn’t get bitten) to kind of ease her on to my hand but she got SO scared and got black spots all over her!! I felt sooo bad so I kind of just let her be, I reallyyy stressed her out today. Do y’all have any tips? I’ve had her for almost 3 weeks now so I’m just now starting this and I’m worried about stressing her too much.

TIME TIME TIME TIME. I've had my girl mona for a year and a half and she does not want to crawl onto me. You have an animal that has little to no interest in you outside of food.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-85-taming-your-chameleon/ <-- listen to this and remember to have patience. You will lose any trust you build if you force her onto you too much. There is no real need to handle them often -- but having them trust you is huge as you will likely *need* to handle your chameleon in its life.

Read this blog as well: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Every chameleon is different so do not expect the same results. My veiled is extremely territorial and defensive so I only handle him when I need to. Veiled are also known to have a temper, so don't be surprised.

Follow the podcast and the blog and be patient. If the chameleon doesn't want to come out, leave it be.

Place one hand on the branch in front of her.

Get her attention with the SUPERWORM(Ditch the meal worms completely.)

Keep it just out of shooting range so she has to step forward and onto your arm. Every step forward should be responded to with pulling the super further back so she has to get all the way onto your arm to get it.

Zilla is the same, we are on the 4th week with her and so far she has reached out to me once and stood on my hand for about 30 seconds and then went back to her stick. She has absolutely no interest in us handling her (shes puffed and shown her dark colors and hissed) but we leave her alone when that happens. After reading so much here in the forum, every cham is different with their keepers. You might have better luck, but give it time and patience.
Let her trust you first, it'll come with time :)

Time time time.... And do not rush her, the second you yank your hand out with her grabbing on she is going to freak. Wait until she is extremely comfortable with your hand and recognizes that you bring the treats...You were given the link already to my blog about how I got Beman to trust me. I have added video and step by step what I did. While it does not guarentee that your cham will ever be ok with you it worked for me with my boy. But honestly you will never tame her you will only be able to get her to trust you. So the key is going at her pace.

Back
Top Bottom