So many eggs!!

MrVisor

Cornbread, my female veiled, laid her eggs a couple days ago, and she is doing fine (just really skinny, as expected). I pulled her egg bin out of her cage today to get the eggs out, and found 87 EGGS!! This was my first experience with the egg laying process, and I was surprised by this number, as all of the blog posts I've read said to expect somewhere between 20 and 50. Either way, I'm excited about the eggs, even though they aren't fertilized.

Attachments

• Eggs1.jpg
    Eggs1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Eggs2.jpg
    Eggs2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 119
Glad it all went smooth.

You can lower egg quantity by lowering the basking temps to low 80s and feeding less :)

HAHAHAH! between 20 and 50 for a veiled?! no brotha, those ladys pump them out like there is no tomorrow. hahahah between 20-50 LOLZ

Wow that's a lot of eggs I try to keep my females in the 30-40 range like posted above lowering the temps and feeding less. Glad she was able to lay so many without any problem. Your going to need a ton of insects for those little guys when they hatch lol.

Wow that's a lot of eggs I try to keep my females in the 30-40 range like posted above lowering the temps and feeding less. Glad she was able to lay so many without any problem. Your going to need a ton of insects for those little guys when they hatch lol.

I think MrVisor mentioned that the eggs arent fertilized.....:confused::confused:

Yes but on May 20 she had only been in the OP's care for two weeks. If she was with a major,etc before she was purchased the eggs could be fertile....and they look fertile to me. I hope they weren't thrown out.

Yes but on May 20 she had only been in the OP's care for two weeks. If she was with a major,etc before she was purchased the eggs could be fertile....and they look fertile to me. I hope they weren't thrown out.

Agreed, those look like good ones to me. Infertile eggs are usually discolored or deflated.

I still have the eggs, I wrapped them in a moist paper towel and put them in a tupperware box. I'm almost sure that these aren't fertile, but I guess I cant be 100% sure. The eggs are firm to the touch, not dented or deflated at all. I hope that rinsing them off wouldn't effect them in a bad way.

I guess I could just set up an incubation box and wait 8 months to find out.

How much time between fertilizing and laying is there normally? I've had her for about a month, and I'm not sure how long the previous owner had her for, so she very well could have been with a male before I adopted her.

you don't have to wait 8 months to see.

if the eggs aren't fertile, they will mold over in a few weeks.

but you need to get the incubation set up now.

it can take 3-5 weeks frm when a female is bred or starts developing eggs, for them to lay.

With regard to the number of eggs - my first female laid two clutches, both of over 100 eggs each, and as a result f this (coupled with me keeping her too warm and over feeding her) she only lived for a very short 18 months. I learnt from this and my second female I kept cooler (83 max) and fed her less (which she naturally did) from the age of 6 months. She laid her first and only clutch at 20 months old and lived to a little over 3 years old. So, feeding them less and keeping them cooler really does work! They get a longer, healthier life and you get to enjoy them longer too!

Back
Top Bottom