So Mad!!!

KeijiLLC

I wanted to post this the other week and vent but I've been so busy...

So I went to France for about two weeks and a friend of the family was taking care of my Birtha (female Jackson) When I come home, I see my poor girl very dehydrated, black and very unhappy. I took care of her right away feeding some dusted crickets and silk worms that she just munched down as fast as I could get em to her. A few days later she was almost back to normal weight and color. The morning after I wake up to greet her, and clean her cage as usual when I found a stillborn baby!:eek: I frantically searched the rest of the cage for any survivors but no luck... I found a total of 12 stillborns.:( I was so sad... I'm guessing her malnutrition made her body just give up her clutch.:( The stillborns looked like they had only another month or two to go before birth. SOOO MAD!!!

Birtha has been doing fine since her miscarriage, eating well and being her usual self. (thank god for that) but I'm not speaking to the one who was supposed to be taking care of my baby anymore.:mad:

Howdy,

One of the tricky things with exotic critters is finding someone who is willing and capable of taking care of your critter(s) when necessary. One of the other forum members and I have been trying to contact other chameleon keepers in our local area. We got an article printed in the local newspaper this week that mentioned our interest in forming a face-to-face group. We've had a few positive responses but wish that we uncovered many more keepers. More to the point of this thread, this kind of group could possibly help with emergency chameleon-sitting situations. You just never know when you'll be stuck in the hospital! I'm not looking forward to the next big earthquake either :(.

Howdy,

One of the tricky things with exotic critters is finding someone who is willing and capable of taking care of your critter(s) when necessary. One of the other forum members and I have been trying to contact other chameleon keepers in our local area. We got an article printed in the local newspaper this week that mentioned our interest in forming a face-to-face group. We've had a few positive responses but wish that we uncovered many more keepers. More to the point of this thread, this kind of group could possibly help with emergency chameleon-sitting situations. You just never know when you'll be stuck in the hospital! I'm not looking forward to the next big earthquake either :(.

So very true...

I have a pet sitter that comes to my home, and stays the night with my dogs. She also feeds and cares for my parrot, and bunny. I can't say that she loves the reptiles, but she met and cared for "Butter" this month when my daughter and I were away for two nights.

I found her through a pet sitter's association. She is insured and bonded, lives local to me, and has been "part of the family" --- sitting for my critters for 4 years now.

Amy came over when I got my cham, and I showed her how to mist, fix up the dripper, set the lights on and off, and how easy it was to use the new cricket keeper. I bought her a pair of little tongs to deal with the wax worms.

She was fascinated with watching him zap buggies.

I don't think I could have pets with out a reliable pet sitter....

Hey dave thats pretty cool, i have been thinking about going on vaca lol i need it but i dont trust anyone lol i need like someone thats experienced with chams. Im about to do that ny lol maybe even be a herp sitter lol. But that would be cool.

Sorry about your cham, hope she gets better and does fine.

Last edited:
That is definately a problem, since I live in a small town. I worry sometimes what would happen to the chameleons if something major happened to me. I am lucky to have a vet who I can also call my friend, and I am sure that he would make sure they were taken care of in that situation. Finding someone to step in and take care of chameleons while I go out of town is an entirely different scenario, though, and one that seems unresolvable right now. Ahh, well, I rarely go out of town for a long period of time anyhow.

Heika

The sad thing is that it's mostly your fault. Most people when it comes to animals have no idea and have no comensense. Some times you just have to cancel trips, you have to put your animals first if you can't find someone trust worthy. That's the only advice I can give you on that.

The sad thing is that it's mostly your fault. Most people when it comes to animals have no idea and have no comensense. Some times you just have to cancel trips, you have to put your animals first if you can't find someone trust worthy. That's the only advice I can give you on that.

I disagree. I dont believe she would have left her animal alone with the person unless she thought that person was reliable. You paint the poster as a callous person with only their interests at heart and left their poor cham alone to defend for itself.

The fault lies with the person who was trusted with the life of the animal, not with the owner. The sitter was the one who promised to take on the cham for a short amount of time and treat it with respect, which they didn't do.

Ok, I see what you mean... but some times you just have to do what's best for the animal, sometimes you have to stay home, but unfortunatly the caretaker at the time(the sitter) did not take responsibility. Which in my thoughts would be the real owners fault or at least 60% because it's kinda an equal fault.

Back
Top Bottom