So how is the "bone-chilling 'bomb cyclone'" affecting the southern folk?

Found one in my outdoor outlet cover the other day. Hope that will help him out 'cause it'll be a hard freeze here over the next couple of nights. Gotta admit, yesterday is the first time I've worn a jacket in Florida (everyone thinks I'm nuts anyway...). There is something very Arctic feeling about this cold. I bet any day now all the manatee rescues will be in the news. The water in the gulf changes temps so quickly.

sounds like we are heading towards a climate change. But whose going to be correct, the global warming folks or the ice age folks? Sadly I am hoping more for ice age, because at least then adaption and evolution has a bit of a chance.

Well in my opinion, the "global warming" folks have already had to "change" to using "climate change" but I don't think most consider that ice ages come and go and at least from what I remember, we are still in the current one (receding) so change is going to be there. (unless you only consider the glacial coverage as an ice age)

Either way... IT''S COLD OUTSIDE!!! 80 cold stunned sea turtles rescued. http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...ticles/bn9/2018/1/4/_80_cold_stunned_sea.html

1515071051822.jpg

Keep hoping for the babies outside in the cold.... I am not sure if it would be intelligent to set up outside heat lamps for any mammals or reptiles who may need them, or to just let the natural order work?

Keep hoping for the babies outside in the cold.... I am not sure if it would be intelligent to set up outside heat lamps for any mammals or reptiles who may need them, or to just let the natural order work?

if it makes you feel better, after a die off there is a massive increase the next year due to no competition for food.

I saw photos today of iguanas falling out of trees in Florida...just laying on the ground...maybe dead ...maybe alive. The authorities don't care because they are pests...but I see they are rescuing the sea turtles. I'm glad of that ...but would have to rescue as may iggies as I could too.

I was just telling the other half that Mother Nature is super pissed at us! I feel so bad for all the critters, we have had negative temps right around -20 every night for 2 weeks, I have no idea how anything is doing to great out there:(

if it makes you feel better, after a die off there is a massive increase the next year due to no competition for food.

I understand, and agree in the way things just need to happen, but I am also that person who still wants to help because we are all animal lovers. It's such a horrible feeling to be caught between. How much helping is going to be detrimental and how much is doing too little? I just want to make like a massive green house for the tropical EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that needs warmer and can't hibernate. Right now my hamsters are even fluffing inside the house since we have been having heater issues so at night it's been dropping lower than I like for them. I have been bringing them in the office and turning on a tiny room heater. They are the only species who can't deal well with temps below 50 degrees as a sudden drop at night. Everyone else does ok-good with temp drops. But I've had to deal with torpor once with them. Never again.

This weather has been rough on the indoor animals. My guys unfortunately had to 2-3 days with their day lights on just to keep their heat right. I have no ceramic heaters for night time because face it I'm in the south. Haven't really needed anything for night time heat since 93. But this year my central unite couldn't keep up and it hit a couple days before I got paid so I picked the lesser of two evils with leaving lights on until I could get the space heaters for the house. I decided them stressing slightly would be better than them freezing. Now since I really don't know how long this could last and I've got the space heaters going I'm going to look into ceramic heaters.

I saw photos today of iguanas falling out of trees in Florida...just laying on the ground...maybe dead ...maybe alive. The authorities don't care because they are pests...but I see they are rescuing the sea turtles. I'm glad of that ...but would have to rescue as may iggies as I could too.
My dads been watching the news and he told me this morning they have been picking up what iguanas they can and bringing them in so they can warm up. From what he said they haven't been able to keep them in because some are extremely aggressive. But I don't have cable so I haven't been able to keep up on it. I'm just going by what he's seen.

I don't think it's state officials bringing them in though. I'm banking it's some of the reptile rescue agencies. Because yes state officials view them and the pythons as invasive species and would prefer them to die off. They have no heart.

A few years back there were a lot of iguanas dropping out of the trees from the cold. Once the sun warmed them up they just got up and walked away. They seemed to handle it better than a lot of the native species.

But, but, we're warming up!!! I'm sorry but when sharks start washing ashore frozen and iggies are falling from trees it makes it hard for me to believe the "global warming/ climate change" side of things. On the radio in the Tampa area they were saying officials advised to leave the iggies alone that they will reanimate as they warm up. Me being me, I've been looking for the one (possibly a "family" because I'm pretty sure I've seen 3 different iggies back there) that lives behind my office everyday since the cold snap started. That was the first thing I did when I got here today because I didn't want him/ her to be laying on the "beach" behind me and tide come in. I've seen this guy/ girl off and on for the last 3 years and he/ she is just now starting to let me get within a couple of feet of him. Hoping he is safe and didn't fall into the intercoastal because I haven't seen him since right before the cold snap started.
20171207_150544-1.jpg

LOL. Find 40f 4ft iggy. Bring it into the Florida room for some sun. Now you have an "active" 4ft iggy in an enclosed area...

Back
Top Bottom