so here we go

i have 3 veiled chameleons and when i got them i was told i could keep them in the same cage but since i have learned that veiled's are the beta fish of the lizard world? my girl friend is getting sick of them taking up so much space :( they are 5/6 months old and growing fast any advice?

Chams are the beta fish of the lizard world

Sorry but by the time they are full grown you will need 3, 2ftx2ftx4ft high cages. You can butt them up against each other with plastic deciders in between. Chams dont want to even see other chams.

thought that was the case

but even my local exotic pet shop said i can keep them together wish i had some place that knew there cham stuff close by

No, you definitely cannot keep them in the same cage.

I urge you to do more research about their needs before listening to the pet store again, please.

You will definitely need 3 separate cages. Also I would check out a caresheet just to make sure you have everything right. 3 chams can be a huge responsibility :)

but even my local exotic pet shop said i can keep them together wish i had some place that knew there cham stuff close by

..You have this forum..that knows just about everything there is about chameleons..

They should have been separated by the time they were 4-5months old. You will need 3 individual cages for each of them. Chameleons are very territorial and three of them in one cage sounds ridiculous. How big is the cage housing them right now? If your girlfriend thinks the one cage is taking up too much space then I think you may have to find a new girlfriend :D, just kidding. But even if they're getting along right now in the same cage doesn't mean that they will in the coming months, soon they start veiled teenage syndrome and they will become aggressive from what I've read on the forums.

I agree with all that is suggested above!!!!! They definitely need separate cages,,and if there's a female in the mix she'll end up getting pregnant at a much too young age!!!

Sorry that you got such bad advice from the pet store.. This is the best place to learn about their care and well being!!!! Which will definitely make it easier for you in the long run also!!! ;)

My boy and girl can't even look at each other without Freddie wanting a fight although Charlie is 6 months older and a fair wack bigger she'd kick his *** but we had quite the eye open when we made the mistake of free ranging them both at separate ends of the living room and he charged her across the floor a good 6-8 metres away and 6ft up. so I dread to think what would happen In a 4x2x2 cage. I strongly advise separate cages or you will have serious problems

To sum this all up: you'll need to house them in separate cages or downsize to 1 Cham. If you decide to house them separately, you'll need to place dividers in between the cages so that they cannot see each other.

Feel free to ask any other questions. You may also want to fill out the "how to ask for help" form. I'm afraid that if they misinformed you on this main detail, they may have given you some other bad info. Can't be too safe!

To sum this all up: you'll need to house them in separate cages or downsize to 1 Cham. If you decide to house them separately, you'll need to place dividers in between the cages so that they cannot see each other.

Feel free to ask any other questions. You may also want to fill out the "how to ask for help" form. I'm afraid that if they misinformed you on this main detail, they may have given you some other bad info. Can't be too safe!

I have put them in separate cages that is what has her wanting them gone well that and the smell of the crickets :(

I agree with all that is suggested above!!!!! They definitely need separate cages,,and if there's a female in the mix she'll end up getting pregnant at a much too young age!!!

Sorry that you got such bad advice from the pet store.. This is the best place to learn about their care and well being!!!! Which will definitely make it easier for you in the long run also!!! ;)

i figured this was the beast place to get advice you all are real helpful even if it is to bounce ideas off :D

I have put them in separate cages that is what has her wanting them gone well that and the smell of the crickets :(

change to roaches - they do not smell - but she prob/ REALLY would not like those - :p - maybe pick your favorite one to keep, and then downsize - it is hard to keep 6 feet of cages "tucked away" - and when you add the lights, and drippers - ect- it does take a lot of space- my husband is getting crabby about my taking over not only the family room, but now also the bed room :eek: :p - but they need what they need- no getting around it - and that is separate caging, and big ones at that ~ another reason I would separated them even IF they got along, you got all 3 at one time? I would think they are all from the same clutch, and you would not want brother & sister breeding - 3 eyed chams are not pretty - ;) :p - good luck, and no matter how much she crabs at you, you are doing the correct thing by have 3 cages - :)

Back
Top Bottom