So excited my new chameleon is here

brandonrx7

We just signed for our new baby veiled chameleon. This is our first one. He is so stinking cute. We got him from lllreptile.com, it was by far the cheapest plase to buy from. I think after everything we needed to buy plus the cham it cost us $250 and shipping is included. I will post pics up later. The only thing I am wondering is the light fixture we bought for it says 25watt max. We have a 13 watt 5.0 uvb bulb in there and my wife put a household light in it that is 20 watts I think but it is floresant and I don't think it is hot enough. If I put a 60 watt or a 50 watt bulb do yall think it will hurt the fixture or are they just covering their butt lol.

The UVB bulb is not where the heat comes from. They need it for the UVB/UVA. And the 5.0 is right. You have to have a basking bulb too. It goes in a dome fixture. You can put a regular house bulb in it. Like a 40watt. Depending on the temps. You can not replace the 5.0 UVB bulb with a house floresent bulb. You need it and a basking bulb.

What type of fixture is it? Most keepers use a linear fluorescent light for UVB and then a regular bulb for heat.

The fixture we got has a place for two lights in it. Its the Compact Fluorescent hood fixture for 2 compact fluorescent uvb bulbs. Made by exo terra. Here is the link.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...erra-compact-fluorescent-terrarium-canopy-18/
We have one 5.0uvb bulb and one household bulb in it but the household bulb is for basking but it is also a fluorescent bulb but only 14 watts I think. But this thing says 25watt max and I don't think that will get hot enough for a basking light. The temp with what we have now is 76 degrees f at the basking point.

You would probably not be able to produce enough heat with a 14 watt bulb... and anything larger will burn out that entire unit...

You need a separate ballast...

Thats kinda what I thought but all the reading I have been doing says keep the basking spot at 70 to 80 degrees and at the basking spot for mine it is 76 degrees, so I kinda thought that would be good enough for a baby veiled.

you will need a seperate light fixture for the heat. get a dome one with a higher wattage rating. 75 watts should be good and then u can put like a 25-50 watt house hold bulb in it and youll be set.

That sucks because the one I have now takes up the whole top of the cage. And everybody told me this thing would work lol. What if I put a 25 watt household flurescent bulb in it, would that work?

Attachments

• chameleon.jpeg
    chameleon.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 134
I am sure LLL will take it back. Might as well start out with the good stuff. It will save you money in the long run.

That sucks because the one I have now takes up the whole top of the cage. And everybody told me this thing would work lol. What if I put a 25 watt household flurescent bulb in it, would that work?

it would for the mean time but that type of fixture is designed to spread light, not heat. a dome fixture is designed to direct light and heat at a specific area. they are pretty inexpensive but i know how you feel about buying something and finding out u might not be able to use it like intended. i blew so much money buying crap before i found out about this site. just do plenty of research and youll be alright.

Yeah you need the tube 5.0 bulb in its only balist, and a dome for the basking bulb. It really is cheap to set up a cage. If you do it right the first time.;)

I will have to call them and send it back to them. I wanted to get the RIGHT STUFF but my wife said look this has room for both, and if yall are married she is always right lol. But thanks for all the info. I can't wait to go home and see him. My daughter has already named him pascal,from the disney movie tangled. We got it for her birthday which is in 2 weeks, she wanted a tangled party also lol. Again thanks yall. I am sure I will have more pics up.

Back
Top Bottom