So Brookesia need supplements?

I have some Brookesia therezieni. Veg light but no uvb. Only uvb source is from nearby cages. They’re great eaters but I’m not sure how to supplement. Dust without d3 primarily with an occasional d3 dusting as with normal Chams?

I have some Brookesia therezieni. Veg light but no uvb. Only uvb source is from nearby cages. They’re great eaters but I’m not sure how to supplement. Dust without d3 primarily with an occasional d3 dusting as with normal Chams?
Title was supposed to say do they need supplements

I've searched everywhere on the forums (and other online sources) and couldn't find anything on supplementation for brookesia. Since more people are getting interested in pygmies with them popping up from the latest Madagascar imports, I felt like I should follow up on the topic with Bill Strand (@DeremensisBlue). Please Note: There is not too much known about pygmies (specifically the Brookesia genus) and their supplementation needs. What works for one keeper may not work for others.

Here is what Bill Strand told me:
"I do the same regimen I use with montanes. Calcium every feeding and then a Repashy calcium Plus LoD dusting once a month. But this is just what I do in the absence of knowing anything better. There isn’t any science or testing behind what I chose. So I am seeing how this works. So I am only sharing what I am doing, not offering it as a recommendation."

@HunterCope, I hope this helps you and other pygmy keepers out. While this supplementation routine has not been tested through multiple generations, I thought that giving forum members an idea of what has been working for others will allow new pygmy keepers to skip the trial and error of experiencing a heavy overdose that ends up killing the few pygmies that survive the importation process.

Bill Strand keeps Brookesia superciliaris which is very similar to therezieni.

Th
I've searched everywhere on the forums (and other online sources) and couldn't find anything on supplementation for brookesia. Since more people are getting interested in pygmies with them popping up from the latest Madagascar imports, I felt like I should follow up on the topic with Bill Strand (@DeremensisBlue). Please Note: There is not too much known about pygmies (specifically the Brookesia genus) and their supplementation needs. What works for one keeper may not work for others.

Here is what Bill Strand told me:
"I do the same regimen I use with montanes. Calcium every feeding and then a Repashy calcium Plus LoD dusting once a month. But this is just what I do in the absence of knowing anything better. There isn’t any science or testing behind what I chose. So I am seeing how this works. So I am only sharing what I am doing, not offering it as a recommendation."

@HunterCope, I hope this helps you and other pygmy keepers out. While this supplementation routine has not been tested through multiple generations, I thought that giving forum members an idea of what has been working for others will allow new pygmy keepers to skip the trial and error of experiencing a heavy overdose that ends up killing the few pygmies that survive the importation process.

Bill Strand keeps Brookesia superciliaris which is very similar to therezieni.
Thank you so much.this is pretty muchwhat I’ve been doing. Thank you and thanks to the community. Y’all are all great

Back
Top Bottom