Snowpacalysps

I'm really worried that this snow storm might throw out our power and my new chamelon won't have a UV light or a basking bulb. What can I do?

Wrap your cage in warm blankets.

If its just a few hours, or even a day, its not a big deal.

if its going to be longer, you can either A- pack them in a box to sleep it away. or B- move them to a house with power.

I ran a hot shower and placed cages 1 at a time int he bathroom for the warmth. its not ideal, but hey it worked.

or get a generator.

Depends on how long the lights will be out and how low the temps drop and what kind of chameleon.

Down to 50 degrees is safe for most all chameleons, including panthers. If you don't think your temps would drop lower than that, you are OK. Veileds and jacksons can go even lower- low 40s.

They will also be fine without lights for a few days- it is no different than being shipped or having some cold cloudy days in nature.

But if you expect lengthy outages, you should probably get creative and give yourself some options.

Chemical heat packs used for warming hands or feet are sold in hunting stores and walmart's hunting section. These last anywhere from 8 to 24 hours or so depending on brand. They are also available online in even longer durations. The walmart ones are very cheap and can be swapped out as needed. If you put your chameleon in a cooler with one of these, it will keep temps inside safe and warm- do not put it in contact with the chameleon's skin- tape it to the lid or something to keep it away from the lizard.

Another option- most homes have south facing windows that get sunshine during the day. After the storm has passed and sun is returned, you can use the area in front of such a window to provide heat and light for your chameleon. You can even trap some of it in a bay window using a bit of plastic and creativity during the day- just be careful not to trap too much heat and cook your lizard (vent the top and bottom and adjust the vent size).

You can also get a power converter for your car cigarette lighter for about $30-$40 at walmart. You can then use the car battery and an extension cord to run power to your basking light.

If you've got a wood stove or kerosene heater and can keep the room warm, I'd probably just move the cage near a window for sunshine if possible, or not stress about it too much if not possible, unless you expect to be out of power for longer than a few days.

moist warmth box

When I first got my chameleon and took him to the vet, I made a moist box that seemed work well...

1. Tupperware container with vent holes.
2. Chameleon
3. Wet-wrung dish towel.
4. Activated hand warmer packet.
5.Cover 4. in 3.
6. Put 5. in 1.
7. Put 2. in 1.

viola! Glad to hear that even a few days with no UVB will be okay.

good luck all!

Last January during a week long encounter with the Polar Vortex, my furnace broke and was without heat for several days. I had a propane ventless heater in the room with the chams during the day. At night they went into containers with heat packs under towels and a ceramic heat emitter for sleeping. Fortunately I did not lose power but had several heat packs on hand if needed. They are surprisingly resilient animals and if healthy can tolerate several days with lower temps and no light. Also under these conditions I withheld food since they were at much cooler temps even during the day with the propane heater and their lights the basking spot never got above 75 degrees. I did make sure they had water from a dripper rather than misting the whole cage as I felt that would make conditions colder.

Back
Top Bottom