Snake Plant?

One of the first steps in setting up an enclosure for my future chameleon will perhaps be getting a primary plant. I know someone who may be able to give me a snake plant that they no longer have space for, and was wondering if people thought that this type of plant is chameleon-safe or if chameleons like it? I'm pretty sure that I have heard mention of it being safe before, but I wanted to make sure. It also seems that it is not a very water-loving plant that likes to dry out in between waterings and not get mist on the leaves, which I would think is unavoidable in a cham eclosure--but it is a great opportunity and I don't want to rule it out just yet. If this doesn't work, though, I may just get an umbrella plant. Also, when one gets a large plant for an enclosure, is there any risk of it outgrowing the enclosure?

I’d say no. They prefer drought like conditions and they will rot if even slightly overwatered (and man do they stink when they do).

They also don’t have very stable bases or root systems, so although the leaves *might* hold up to the weight, they’d likely fall over from theit shallow roots.

By snake plant, I assume you mean sansevieria. They're pretty useless as cham plants go. Basically the shape of giant blades of grass. Also need to dry out from what I know of them. Not really a match for a cham enclosure

Back
Top Bottom