Snails in bioactive

Gbeats

Do you think I could raise snails in my bioactive? Just got 10-20 babies (haven't counted yet) from someone giving them away for free because their pet snail had babies. Since I have a bioactive setup I'm considering just throwing them in and see what happens. Kind of lazy but I've read through some of the old posts of here and it seems like their cages are quite messy. Will they eat my plants? (Scheflerra, Croton, pathos) I know they are garden pests sometimes...

Edit:I want to use them as a feeder but also reproduce to keep constant supply of babies for my veiled. She ate a couple today and seemed to like them.

Do you think I could raise snails in my bioactive? Just got 10-20 babies (haven't counted yet) from someone giving them away for free because their pet snail had babies. Since I have a bioactive setup I'm considering just throwing them in and see what happens. Kind of lazy but I've read through some of the old posts of here and it seems like their cages are quite messy. Will they eat my plants? (Scheflerra, Croton, pathos) I know they are garden pests sometimes...

Edit:I want to use them as a feeder but also reproduce to keep constant supply of babies for my veiled. She ate a couple today and seemed to like them.

From my experience as a vivarium/bio active keeper and my experience in horticulture, snails are not a great idea in bio active. A fews not terrible as long as you give them things to eat. But too many and they'll kill your plants.

From my experience as a vivarium/bio active keeper and my experience in horticulture, snails are not a great idea in bio active. A fews not terrible as long as you give them things to eat. But too many and they'll kill your plants.
Thanks! I actually experimented and put two in there and they were eaten out of the shell! I don't know if it was a cricket or an isopod lol. But not going to work

Snails will seriously wreck plants, it's a reason for non native species requiring permits. A few large helix aspersa could make quick work of a lot.

I've seen snails suspiciously die as well too, hard to say if they died and something ate it or via versa. I'm sure an isopod, types of worms, or beetles are capable

Back
Top Bottom