Snail breeding

Serbianchameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I want to breed my snails from backyard. Any tips? I know they are usually full of parasites. How to prevent parasites getting on babies? Can they get on eggs? How long does it take for them to hatch? Is worth the risk? Can I get the parasites. I ways hands after touching any of my animals but I dont know can I get the parasites from snail even if I wash them every time. I’m pretty paranoid about that.

Which species? If you can breed them separate the eggs, could even lightly rinse them off. The main parasite people worry about is rat lungworm, which a snail would get from rat feces. I believe it isn't as host specific as other species so be cautious, but also probably isn't as common as it's made out to be. As long as you're washing your hands and not eating living wild snails, you shouldn't get it lol.

I dont know the name of the species. Just usual garden snail. Im worried about the poop of this one. It looks odd
7630D399-B0F8-474B-877D-0BDAFDB57683.jpeg
7CEBF004-F5C0-4DA7-9C18-8DD3701306F5.jpeg

Just collect some adults, throw them in a gasket tub with a few inches of moist substrate, I just have one 1" hole for ventilation, they don't need much and like it humid. Keep a little warm if you can. Feed same things you'd feed crickets/roaches and just give them some time. Maybe once a week dig through the soil until you see white eggs. Then remove them, rinse them lightly, and put them in another bin with new substrate. You'll be set.

Just collect some adults, throw them in a gasket tub with a few inches of moist substrate, I just have one 1" hole for ventilation, they don't need much and like it humid. Keep a little warm if you can. Feed same things you'd feed crickets/roaches and just give them some time. Maybe once a week dig through the soil until you see white eggs. Then remove them, rinse them lightly, and put them in another bin with new substrate. You'll be set.
How do I know if they are male or female? Thank you for your time really. I’m just scared of parasites still.

How do I know if they are male or female? Thank you for your time really. I’m just scared of parasites still.
Most species of snail are hermaphrodites (have complete sets of both male and female anatomy within each individual), and can technically reproduce on their own. They are social though, and breed more/seem happier kept in pairs or groups.

Parasites always stay in the host? They cant be in the water or in soil right?

No, many parasites pass infectious matter into water and/or soil. Eggs, cysts, segments that can grow into the full parasite... Best practice is to take the eggs out when laid, rather than remove the adult(s), which is where I assume you were heading with this question 🙂

Most species of snail are hermaphrodites (have complete sets of both male and female anatomy within each individual), and can technically reproduce on their own. They are social though, and breed more/seem happier kept in pairs or groups.

No, many parasites pass infectious matter into water and/or soil. Eggs, cysts, segments that can grow into the full parasite... Best practice is to take the eggs out when laid, rather than remove the adult(s), which is where I assume you were heading with this question 🙂
I just dont know is it worth the risk of me getting the parasite or my chameleons if the babies catch them...

If snails and slugs were the ticking time bombs they're made out to be, everyone would be dead... because they get on everything. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. All insects carry filth in one way or another

I just dont know is it worth the risk of me getting the parasite or my chameleons if the babies catch them...
If you eat any leafy produce, it's (most likely) had snails and/or slugs on it. Most root crops too. The risk of parasite presence/transmission is pretty low IMO; however, the possibility is why I won't feed wild caught. The risk of infection from parent to removed eggs is even lower, so I consider it essentially 'safe' practice.

I have the option to buy giant albino african snails. But I dont know about breeding them or could they be fed to reptiles. Of course small ones after they hatch.

I don't like giant African land snails simply for their destructive potential. They grow huge, quickly, and reproduce exponentially. The risk of any possible escapees to the local environment isn't worth the risk IMO, especially as there are alternative species. Plus, you can't truly know they're parasite free even if you buy them from someone, unless you know them and their husbandry practices personally. I'd just go out and catch some snails in your area, let them do their thing, and separate eggs 👍

If you eat any leafy produce, it's (most likely) had snails and/or slugs on it. Most root crops too. The risk of parasite presence/transmission is pretty low IMO; however, the possibility is why I won't feed wild caught. The risk of infection from parent to removed eggs is even lower, so I consider it essentially 'safe' practice.

I don't like giant African land snails simply for their destructive potential. They grow huge, quickly, and reproduce exponentially. The risk of any possible escapees to the local environment isn't worth the risk IMO, especially as there are alternative species. Plus, you can't truly know they're parasite free even if you buy them from someone, unless you know them and their husbandry practices personally. I'd just go out and catch some snails in your area, let them do their thing, and separate eggs 👍
The person selling them is selling them for skin care for about 2 years now. I dont know her but it would be crazy to sell them if they have parasites. But as you said I wilk try with backyard snails. Thank you both for info!!

I'd get a few more if you can. Also, while snails love tearing up greens and other veggies/fruits/anything... mine seem to do the best with higher protein foods+constant calcium/mineral source. I use ground up all natural horse chow(basically a bunch of vegan proteins) and cuttlebone. I also pour some calcium/multivitamin powders in occasionally. They're not picky, but I find they grow and breed the fastest with those options.

Agree with the higher protein food. Be careful not to give them super dry stuff or things that swell with moisture... When I first started keeping snails, I gave them some pasta. They loved it, but all reacted poorly later and one died in a pretty horrific fashion 🥺

Agree with the higher protein food. Be careful not to give them super dry stuff or things that swell with moisture... When I first started keeping snails, I gave them some pasta. They loved it, but all reacted poorly later and one died in a pretty horrific fashion 🥺
That's interesting, the horsechow will swell a bit with water. Mainly the alfalfa pellets. Not as much when I grind it up though. I haven't noticed any deaths, but I also have loads of them... 2 bins full... my cham eats 1-2 per week

I'd get a few more if you can. Also, while snails love tearing up greens and other veggies/fruits/anything... mine seem to do the best with higher protein foods+constant calcium/mineral source. I use ground up all natural horse chow(basically a bunch of vegan proteins) and cuttlebone. I also pour some calcium/multivitamin powders in occasionally. They're not picky, but I find they grow and breed the fastest with those options.
Give me an example of high protein foods please. Snails eat eggs and meat?? I will get as much if them as I can, I only found two for tonight..

Nice, they lay tons of eggs. Yes they will eat eggs and meat, but I'd probably not just because that can become a smelly mess fast. Another thing, try not to let springtails in your bin, the small silver ones aren't a problem, but the larger white ones annoy snails by climbing all over them. I like zebra isopods for clean up if you have any, they are slower and not as likely to eat the snail eggs(as other isopod species).

Quinoa, oats, seeds, bee pollen, spirulina, nuts, alfalfa, sprouts, beans, etc all should work well. Along with greens/veggies/fruits and a calcium source available at all times.

Snails are omnivores and eat pretty much anything. Protein and fat rich foods, with calcium, will help their growth more though being higher in calories and nutrients. Think of it like this, will you gain more mass eating a steak with a glass of milk or a salad with no dressing? The salad is good for all of the micronutrients, but it doesn't help the body build as much(though there are a lot of minerals in plants, many aren't as well absorbed... in people at least).

Back
Top Bottom