Snail breeding

Nice, they lay tons of eggs. Yes they will eat eggs and meat, but I'd probably not just because that can become a smelly mess fast. Another thing, try not to let springtails in your bin, the small silver ones aren't a problem, but the larger white ones annoy snails by climbing all over them. I like zebra isopods for clean up if you have any, they are slower and not as likely to eat the snail eggs(as other isopod species).

Quinoa, oats, seeds, bee pollen, spirulina, nuts, alfalfa, sprouts, beans, etc all should work well. Along with greens/veggies/fruits and a calcium source available at all times.

Snails are omnivores and eat pretty much anything. Protein and fat rich foods, with calcium, will help their growth more though being higher in calories and nutrients. Think of it like this, will you gain more mass eating a steak with a glass of milk or a salad with no dressing? The salad is good for all of the micronutrients, but it doesn't help the body build as much(though there are a lot of minerals in plants, many aren't as well absorbed... in people at least).
Okay. I dont have either springtails or isopods. Are they necessary? How do I clean the enclosure from their poop and slime?

Springtails have a tendency to pop up sooner or later lol. No matter what I do they somehow find their way in at some point. You don't need cleaners, you don't even really need to clean once the soil is established with beneficial bacteria(bioactive). Just stir the soil once in a while and you can wipe down the walls if you want.

So my breeder gave me 12 giant african snails. I was thinking of taking 2 lol. I just wanted to ask are they too small now to breed? They look small to me. And what shoukd I do with them when they get big? I mean I need only 2 breeder snail I dont want to have 12 cat sized snails in my room lol 😂
8DD245B3-BBBA-4C88-96E0-2BA6207B92E6.jpeg

That last pic threw me for a loop. I was like you got slugs too?? 😂

I want to breed snails someday too! But I have my hands full with roach colonies and various worms so in the meantime I'll live vicariously through you!

That last pic threw me for a loop. I was like you got slugs too?? 😂

I want to breed snails someday too! But I have my hands full with roach colonies and various worms so in the meantime I'll live vicariously through you!
Well its fun I can tell you that. I just totally forgot to get the substrate for them.. Hope it eont bother them for few days.. I placed a half an egg in and they almost ate it whole!

I have no experience with that species, they are completely illegal in the US. I've heard they have a higher chance of carrying pathogens too, get insanely large, and are very bad for the environment. IMO you're better off using those ones you caught, that is what most people use as feeders.

I have no experience with that species, they are completely illegal in the US. I've heard they have a higher chance of carrying pathogens too, get insanely large, and are very bad for the environment. IMO you're better off using those ones you caught, that is what most people use as feeders.
Oh.. I didn’t mean to feed them to my chams. I meant to breed them. It will probably end with me smashing 10 of 12 of them. Because I dont need 12 gigantic slimey beasts in my room..

Nice! Glad it's going well for you. I find it easier to freeze then crush excess eggs than have to murder baby snails later. I'm not a fan of GALS, but am interested to learn about them anyway. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom