Smelly Supers

theresaintucson

Some people complain about crickets being smelly. I don't seem to have that problem with mine. It's the 1000 superworms I have that smell NASTY. I have them in a tote. I cut a a hole in the lid and covered that with screen for ventilation. I'm using uncooked oats as a substrate. I offer potatoes, apples and orange slices. I replace the oats once a week and take out the dead and shed. Is there anything else I can do to eliminate the smell?

no clue... ive never had so many supers at once... Ive had 25 max at a timeXD and I kept them in a deli cup ..the substrate came with them... I never had any die on me either... wish i could help =[[

no clue at all! it feels like... sawdust... but doesnt smell lkike sawdust =p I know one of our sponsors it might be lllreptiles or tiki tiki reptiles that actually sells supers substrate

It probably gets too moist or they are not getting something in their diet so they eat eachother. I have not had a single cannibalism problem since I started making my own bedding/gutload.

Pet stores sell supers in wood chips.

To my knowledge, supers smell bad normally. I believe someone has fed crickets lowres(sp?) and eliminated the smell from those, so maybe try that?

Some people complain about crickets being smelly. I don't seem to have that problem with mine. It's the 1000 superworms I have that smell NASTY. I have them in a tote. I cut a a hole in the lid and covered that with screen for ventilation. I'm using uncooked oats as a substrate. I offer potatoes, apples and orange slices. I replace the oats once a week and take out the dead and shed. Is there anything else I can do to eliminate the smell?

My supers don't smell either. They smell quite nice actually. well I only have 100. They smell just like fortified cereals.. things that go on the shelves and that unflavored ones that no one likes is what i put them in. I dont know why no one is using cereals as bedding, is it because it is more expensive? i thought the fortified vitamins makes great gutload. LOL.

And some water melon slices.. don't have any dead ones.. they seem pretty happy. Although they do come above their substrates but do not climb out.

Any reason they tend to come on surface??

I have been afraid to feed super worms, don't they bite? I have this fear of Ozzies food itself killing him. Silly I know but I love him so much I couldn't bare something hurting him. What other type of worms are safe to feed?

I don't mind if they bite me but won't they bite Ozzie? Just the thought of it gives me goose bumbs:eek: I would squish any bug or worm that would hurt him LOL!!!!

I just bought 1000 supers a coupe weeks ago. I keep them in bran. I feed them mostly kale/sweet potatoes/carrots/other greens. I have not noticed any smell.

Could the orange have gotten moldy and causing the smell?

I have about 50,000 supers no smell

P5270069.jpg

P5270071.jpg

OMG 0.0 I DID not know that they turned into those BEETLES 0.-0 0.0 that makes them so much.... scarier 0.0 >> I perfer the freaky worms.

Back
Top Bottom