Superworm substrate going moldy...Help!

Aubrii

So I have been keeping my superworms inside a cricket keeper with oats and sweet potato slices and carrot slices for gut loading and the oats keep going moldy! There is plenty of ventilation, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong, why the oats keep going moldy. Obviously mold is bad for the bugs and my baby cham so now I'm wasting the oats by changing them out every few days so she doesn't get sick! We live in Nevada which is a very low humidity climate and we keep our house around 70 during the day so I don't think it's that but there must be a way to fix this so I'm not changing out the oats every other day!

How many super worms and how small of a keeper? The veggies and the worms respiration gives off humidity so if the bin is cramped and not well ventiventilated that would explain the molding

Use a larger plastic tote, and cut the lid and replace it with screen so you have ventilation. When you feed, place the sweet potatoes and carrots on a tupperware lid, so the worms can crawl onto it and eat, but they aren't directly touching the oats. Those 2 things should solve your issues.

Back
Top Bottom