Smelly Poop!

cushcameleon

Today my male verrucosus passed one of the most foul smelling stools I have ever come across. I have never once smelled anything nasty coming from my chameleons cages, but today I picked up the scent from several feet away. Being that he is WC, I called my vet immediately and dropped off a fecal sample. A few days ago, he went on a strike against crickets. The most recent thing he has eaten was a few large superworms. Today I tried to get him to feed on crickets, superworms, butterworms and even waxworms. But he refused everything. I have not noticed any changes in his behavior, other than his refusal to eat. He still seems very alert and shy (just like he has been since I first got him) and he is almost always laying on a branch completely flat (as in not standing on his feet). Originally I had plans of weighing him and measuring his length until I found out about this whole thing. Any suggestions or guesses as to what it might be, would help a great deal. I will have the results tomorrow.

Hey Cush,

From everything I have read on reptiles, stinky poop was a sign of parasites.

Looks like you already got the fecal in, so just be patient and wait for the news.

-Jay

I am so sorry for this :( Such things are always so stressful! Let us know the results of the test...
Once I've smelled something really bad in the enclosure and let the poo examined and it was negative to parasites- the vet told me it was caused by the food...

Well still no results from the fecal test yet, even though the vet told me they would I would have the results by the 12th (yesterday! :mad:). After a two day strike, he finally ate one cricket and one butterworm. It just seems like he should not be as skinny as he is and based off looks, he appears to have a much smaller weight ratio than my carpet and rudis chameleon. I took him out in the sun today, but didn't really see much change in his temperament (he still refused to eat). I have managed to collect a couple more fecal samples and am hoping to find another reputable vet to test it. I am not sure wether or not he has parasites or some type of intestinal problem. For all I know he could be fine. However, I am at a loss of thoughts for what I should do. I have been treating him as if he were infected with parasites, which means I constantly sanitize. I do not know wether I should force feed him, leave him be, or take him to the vet. I realize I cannot do much until I get the results back, but even if the test were to show he was negative for parasites, I think I would still be a little skeptical :confused:. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Well-fed adult chameleons can be without food for 3 weeks without any problems- I think he can handle a day or two untill you get the results.

Back
Top Bottom