Smelly poop

Hello everyone,
So my 4 month panther chameleon poop today was really smelly, quite orange plus had a whole waxworm in it. Since it is the first time that I see something like it I was wondering whether it could be just one off or something I should worry about.. Please let me know your thoughts.

not a high enough day/basking temp for good digestion, and too much food given before previous food has come out the other end. What are your day air temps, and you may need a "house bulb" to heat up "an area" since you can not have a standard basking spot when they are that small.

And i still win the smelly poop contest...

Hey thank you so much for your quick response. That actually makes sense because the past two days I've lowered the temperature to 85 degrees as I thought 90 might have been to high for a juvenile. I'll have to change it back then. By the way congrats for that poop, that looks like it came from a horse arse. Lol

Smelly feces is an indicator that something is not right. Definitely get your basking temp dialed in. 90F would be too hot for a 4 month old. I'd aim for about 85F max. Make sure he has easy access to the basking area and has time to bask for a few hours after each meal.

What time of day are your feeding? Can you share a photo of the enclosure? Misting schedule?

Its not a bad idea to find a reputable reptile vet with chameleon experience and have a check up and fecal parasite test done.

I highly recommend a fecal as well. Parasite issues can either be very very easy or very hard to deal with. Most are easy involving meds and cleaning of the cage and then removing and spot cleaning the feces while under treatment until you get a clean fecal back.

But to be safe I would rule this out to ensure a healthy cham. :)

not a high enough day/basking temp for good digestion, and too much food given before previous food has come out the other end. What are your day air temps, and you may need a "house bulb" to heat up "an area" since you can not have a standard basking spot when they are that small.

View attachment 251625
Was gonna say “damn, you weren’t joking, what did you eat?!”

But then I scrolled down a bit more and saw the quarter, kinda ruined it....

View attachment 251625
Bro That's a human Turd lmao.

You just mad he is pad trained.
Oh yes, that's exactly what it is! lol My female actually delivers hers, she comes down and gets right next to the door when its time.... Roux on the other hand, he's still a mess but I can see his bathroom area shrinks more and more as time goes on. He'll get there eventually....

Smelly feces is an indicator that something is not right. Definitely get your basking temp dialed in. 90F would be too hot for a 4 month old. I'd aim for about 85F max. Make sure he has easy access to the basking area and has time to bask for a few hours after each meal.

What time of day are your feeding? Can you share a photo of the enclosure? Misting schedule?

Its not a bad idea to find a reputable reptile vet with chameleon experience and have a check up and fecal parasite test done.
Thanks for your reply. I spray the enclosure in the morning and before lights off in the evening and feed him in the morning after spraying him so he has time to digest the food,that would be at 8:00 am. This is a photo of the enclosure. Everything is 100%natural and safe for the cham. It only happened once, so I should probably keep an eye on his poop and make sure it won't happen again before panicking.

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_180317.jpg
    IMG_20191110_180317.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20191111_201654.jpg
    IMG_20191111_201654.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 98
You should definitely get a fecal test done. A parasite could explain the smelly poop and why you thought he was sick in this other thread. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...o-exotic-vet-available-until-tomorrow.172247/
Well after taking him to the vet we found out that he was never sick in fact he was only wobbling as he was trying to look like a leaf.. . -.-
I will definitely get his poop tested asap but I hope that the smelly poop was one time off only.

Well after taking him to the vet we found out that he was never sick in fact he was only wobbling as he was trying to look like a leaf.. . -.-
I will definitely get his poop tested asap but I hope that the smelly poop was one time off only.
Did you end up creating a different account???? I know that thread went side ways really quickly. I hope you made the changes suggested to the supplement and UVB bulb strength...

Did you end up creating a different account???? I know that thread went side ways really quickly. I hope you made the changes suggested to the supplement and UVB bulb strength...

they made both accounts on the same day apparently.

Back
Top Bottom