smaller feeders and larger quantity vs large feeders every other day

KRGEE21

Avid Member
Just curious about everyone's opinion on this. My quad is about a year and a half old, and man does he love to eat. I know that most people are on every other day feeding schedules with adults. Is there a benefit to giving large feeders every other day versus say medium/small feeders every day and more of them?

It's an interesting question for sure. There's actually a surprisingly large amount of research which finds a correlation between intermittent fasting (or nutrient reduction) and increased life expectancy - in all sorts of animals. Mouse, frog, drosophila, etc. While the mechanistic cause behind this is not understood, I believe that the effect is conserved enough to apply to chameleons as well.

There's something about that metabolic break which goes along with longevity

It's an interesting question for sure. There's actually a surprisingly large amount of research which finds a correlation between intermittent fasting (or nutrient reduction) and increased life expectancy - in all sorts of animals. Mouse, frog, drosophila, etc. While the mechanistic cause behind this is not understood, I believe that the effect is conserved enough to apply to chameleons as well.

Good point, I do 16 hr intermittent fasting myself. Not sure how this applies to chameleons, but I feel a ton better doing it.

Thanks, that certainly makes sense. I'll start dropping with dropping a couple feedings a week, and see if I notice any difference in behaviors.( aside from him sitting in his feeding spot looking like where the hell's my breakfast):)

Back
Top Bottom