Small size

Moehorror

this is Newt,he is definitely undersized but is proportional,no bent limbs,defecates regularilly on gutloaded insects,wide range of temps humidity above 50%.From this pic hopefully no one sees MBD

Attachments

• IMG_0096 (3).JPG
    IMG_0096 (3).JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 82
Could you fill out this form please? My ambilobe came to me with mild MBD that was only visible through x-ray, so if you’re really concerned, you can go to the vet, but it isn’t glaringly obvious to me
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
his total length including tail is 15-16 inches,he's under two years of age.
How old is Newt?

I don't see any signs of anything, but that is from one picture and it isn't always easy to tell everything from one shot.

(This could be a shameless attempt to get you to post more pictures... :unsure:)
I am just panicking,measured him and he is 15-16" long,which seems to be normal

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 63
Newt is about 22 monthes old,got him at 3 monthes old,he was fed dusted crickets and superworms,till he was about a year than I added dubia.The supplement I dust is arcadia calcium and the superworms were raised in alfalfa and shredded carrots and sweet potatoe.He almost now just eats dubia which are fed carrots and mazuri low starch tortoise food,occassionally feeding them kale.His cage is pvc with sliding front doors and a screen top,dimensions are 3' x 2' x 4'.It is misted with a mistking 5x a day maintain a humidity just over 50%.I have a dripper that is set on a timer 5x as well for 40 minutes each,and I see him drink.He is handled very sparsely maybe once every two weeks or less.HIs cage is in low traffic area raised about a foot off the ground.His uvb light is arcadia jungle 12%,He has a megaray 70w heat projector that is set for twenty hours,uvb is on from 10am to 5pm.He has two 12v 35W lucky reptile basking lights within the tank on the warm side.Night temps are 72f to a spot where it goes to about 92F.The main plant is a ficus with a pothos and two other similarilly leaved plants and some mothers tear covering a small area of the bottom,which is arcadia earthmix seeded with dwarf white isopods and springtails,no mould and the substrate has oakleaves in as well.Our house temps are 65-68F,hence the nonuse of a screened cage.The main light is a led Arcadia 40w light which is on for 12hours.His droppings are about 1/3light creamy white urates and a solid dark brown that has a wet glossy look.Temps and humidity measured with digital equipment,and I also have a infrared heat gun.His eyes have never been sunken and he is never gone dark.Pretty much always like the first pics with varying degress of yellow and sparse reds

Newt is about 22 monthes old,got him at 3 monthes old,he was fed dusted crickets and superworms,till he was about a year than I added dubia.The supplement I dust is arcadia calcium and the superworms were raised in alfalfa and shredded carrots and sweet potatoe.He almost now just eats dubia which are fed carrots and mazuri low starch tortoise food,occassionally feeding them kale.His cage is pvc with sliding front doors and a screen top,dimensions are 3' x 2' x 4'.It is misted with a mistking 5x a day maintain a humidity just over 50%.I have a dripper that is set on a timer 5x as well for 40 minutes each,and I see him drink.He is handled very sparsely maybe once every two weeks or less.HIs cage is in low traffic area raised about a foot off the ground.His uvb light is arcadia jungle 12%,He has a megaray 70w heat projector that is set for twenty hours,uvb is on from 10am to 5pm.He has two 12v 35W lucky reptile basking lights within the tank on the warm side.Night temps are 72f to a spot where it goes to about 92F.The main plant is a ficus with a pothos and two other similarilly leaved plants and some mothers tear covering a small area of the bottom,which is arcadia earthmix seeded with dwarf white isopods and springtails,no mould and the substrate has oakleaves in as well.Our house temps are 65-68F,hence the nonuse of a screened cage.The main light is a led Arcadia 40w light which is on for 12hours.His droppings are about 1/3light creamy white urates and a solid dark brown that has a wet glossy look.Temps and humidity measured with digital equipment,and I also have a infrared heat gun.His eyes have never been sunken and he is never gone dark.Pretty much always like the first pics with varying degress of yellow and sparse reds
The 12% uvb is too much, get a 6%. There should 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. 92* is too high. The panther care sheet here has proper basking info.

The 12% uvb is too much, get a 6%. There should 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. 92* is too high. The panther care sheet here has proper basking info.
wouldn't you need more info such as distance the uvb is from the basking spot and density of the screen top to determine the uvb bulb,i'm bad for not giving that info,but I took it into account,there probably be uv burn issues along with eye problems if it were to high I decreased the exposure to be on the safe side and he does get 12 hours darkness,probably not communicated well.Thanks for your help though I guess in nature the animals don't get temps outside of those on the care sheet

wouldn't you need more info such as distance the uvb is from the basking spot and density of the screen top to determine the uvb bulb,i'm bad for not giving that info,but I took it into account,there probably be uv burn issues along with eye problems if it were to high I decreased the exposure to be on the safe side and he does get 12 hours darkness,probably not communicated well.Thanks for your help though I guess in nature the animals don't get temps outside of those on the care sheet
Okay, fair point. So how far is the uvb from the screen, and what’s the density of the screen top? Is his cage heavily planted? Do you have a uvb meter? For me, 12% should only be used on panthers if you have a giant viv that is very heavily planted

sorry I come from the Frank Retes philosophy of reptile keeping of choice,but this is basically my first Chameleon,so if I ask for help I need to heed the advice of those who have good experience,my bulbs need replacing so i'll go to the 6% for 12 hours.The tank is heavily planted and the uvb is at the front and he is towards the back to midrange in the cage.I must be doing something wrong because he should be larger,unless someone can say some panthers just don't get as big,as he is still at the lower end of normal.I do appreciate the advice,i take it more constructively.

Mo
sorry I come from the Frank Retes philosophy of reptile keeping of choice,but this is basically my first Chameleon,so if I ask for help I need to heed the advice of those who have good experience,my bulbs need replacing so i'll go to the 6% for 12 hours.The tank is heavily planted and the uvb is at the front and he is towards the back to midrange in the cage.I must be doing something wrong because he should be larger,unless someone can say some panthers just don't get as big,as he is still at the lower end of normal.I do appreciate the advice,i take it more constructively.
No problem! Could you post a pic of him next to something for size reference and one of his enclosure, please? He might need the 12% if the enclosure is deeply planted enough, it depends on everybody’s situation.

Mo

No problem! Could you post a pic of him next to something for size reference and one of his enclosure, please? He might need the 12% if the enclosure is deeply planted enough, it depends on everybody’s situation.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 69
Thank you! I would go with 6%. He personally looks like a good size to me, but then again, I have a smaller-sized ambilobe and a giant retired breeder Nosy Be, so I won’t be good with referencing size

Back
Top Bottom