small silkworms and silkmoths

dudeman728

hi i was wondering if small silkworms have a high death rate. i ordered 100 small silkies from mulberry and i noticed a lot of them are dying off. i was just wondering if it was normal for them at that age. also, i was wondering if there were any instructions on silkmoths. 2 of them hatched but they died almost the same day they were born. i know they dont live long, but they need to live long enough to breed! haha. anyways i was just wondering just to make sure i dont have to switch anything up. thanks a lot!!

hi i was wondering if small silkworms have a high death rate. i ordered 100 small silkies from mulberry and i noticed a lot of them are dying off. i was just wondering if it was normal for them at that age. also, i was wondering if there were any instructions on silkmoths. 2 of them hatched but they died almost the same day they were born. i know they dont live long, but they need to live long enough to breed! haha. anyways i was just wondering just to make sure i dont have to switch anything up. thanks a lot!!

you probably have a bad batch.
It should not die easily provided that you clean the enclosure well and provided the correct temp.

well thats definitely a bummer....hopefully the rest grow up healthy and hopefully my moths will live long enough to breed lol....

could it also be because the temperature is lowering due to winter?

the temps here are around mid 70's during the day and probably low 70's to high 60s during the night. i am keeping them in the petridish that it came with and there is still chow in there that it came with

edit: night time could be mid 60's actually...i have 2 different thermostats and they say different things haha...

is it necessary to raise temps at night? ill probably be sleeping around then

Yeah man the batch of 100 I just got from Mulberry all died. I had them for about 3 days and kept them in that dish that they came in because the directions say keep in there until they get overcrowded or when the food is gone. Well it molded up and they all died. I thought it was silk at first, but I had to throw them all away. I don't know as this is the 1st time I bought small ones this small.

You really don't want them to go under 72 degrees f., but they should've been ok to around 68-69 at night...maybe. Do a search for "silkworms 101" using the forum feature. That thread will be your new friend esp. if you decide to raise them, but even for general care it's great. It could also be you "got a bad batch." Though it hasn't happened to me, it's easy to imagine one silkie got sick and spread it to the others.

ahahha darn those silkworms! i would totally buy them more often if they werent so expensive because of the shipping from mulberry farms. just wanted to breed some as i fed the rest to cooper but its proving to be harder than i thought. it just sucks that the more expensive and fragile worm had to be the ones that were best hahahah

dang i just checked this morning and more of them died...doesnt look like any one of them have a virus...just probably a bad bunch or something...does anybody know where to get cheaper silkworms other than mulberry farms? i want to buy more but the shipping is killer

With mine I took the lid off and put the wax paper over then like the label said to do. They all died and molded up. Temps were around 72 to 80. I'm gonna wait and get some bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom