Small Casque on Veiled?

here is another pic

Attachments

• CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 138
He does have a small casque. I'm not sure if he would have mbd from those pics. Are you noticing bowed legs?

Well, his limbs look straight to me, so I am not thinking MBD. Was he ever burned -maybe when he was very young? He may just have a strange casque.

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male 1 and a half years old.
Handling - Once a day to give him water and take him out to roam
Feeding - He's been eating only superworms and mealworms lately, 3 supers and 3 large meals a day and a waxworm a couple times a week
Supplements - Its like repticalcium with D3 and i dust only his superworms
Watering - Sometimes he drinks from the misting but he mostly drinks from water bottles
Fecal Description - Brown and white, and i cant see any parasites
History - Uh, he sleeps really weird.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen 36x18x18
Lighting - 1 75 watt and 1 60 watt with a Zilla fluorescent UVB bulb?
Temperature - Usually 80-85 during the day and 70 at night
Humidity - I mist my chameleon a few times a day to keep humidity, but i'll buy a humidity meter for him?
Plants - No
Placement - In the game room
Location - Frisco, tx
Current Problem - Small casque

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male 1 and a half years old.
Handling - Once a day to give him water and take him out to roam
Feeding - He's been eating only superworms and mealworms lately, 3 supers and 3 large meals a day and a waxworm a couple times a week
Supplements - Its like repticalcium with D3 and i dust only his superworms

I would probably introduce a better staple feeder and know what your supplementing with exactly.I found Feeding greens to my veiled also help kept the shy drinkers hydrated.

I would probably introduce a better staple feeder and know what your supplementing with exactly.I found Feeding greens to my veiled also help kept the shy drinkers hydrated.

He doesnt eat crickets, he hates them, I might buy some caterpillars if they have them at NARBC to see if he likes them. And how exactly do you give your cham greens?

You need to be dusting with plain calcium WITHOUT d3 and multivitamin aswell. This is the schedule that I (and a decent amount of other people) use.

Calcium with d3 2x a month
Multivitamins 2x a month
Calcium WITHOUT d3 almost every feeding in between

You need to be dusting with plain calcium WITHOUT d3 and multivitamin aswell. This is the schedule that I (and a decent amount of other people) use.

Multivitamins 2x a month
yes! mist 3-4 times a day? do you have dripper? id suggest get humidity gauge and live plant. they keep humidity real well. i dont think you need the extra light..

Multivitamins 2x a month

Oh, thats good info thanks. but still it doesnt answer the question why is his casque so small? It was the same size when i got it a few weeks ago

He doesnt eat crickets, he hates them, I might buy some caterpillars if they have them at NARBC to see if he likes them. And how exactly do you give your cham greens?

How do you know he absolutely hates crickets, what he just refuses to eat them?Dont feed for a few days throw in a cricket bet he learns to like them :cool:
Honestly if he's on worms try staple of silks, and mix in the rest if you feel.Crickets are just easily acquired for me by quantity and stimulate the hunting instinct in my chams.

I usually give mine mustard greens or or collard greens ect....I cut them off stems if there is any or big veins whatever and just hang throughout cage spray them down with water. He'll usually eat them morning and evening.

How do you know he absolutely hates crickets, what he just refuses to eat them?Dont feed for a few days throw in a cricket bet he learns to like them :cool:
Honestly if he's on worms try staple of silks, and mix in the rest if you feel.Crickets are just easily acquired for me by quantity and stimulate the hunting instinct in my chams.
I usually give mine mustard greens or or collard greens ect....I cut them off stems if there is any or big veins whatever and just hang throughout cage spray them down with water. He'll usually eat them morning and evening.

Oh, i replaced his food with crickets one day and he didnt eat any. I ripped the legs off the crickets and put them in the feeding cup, which is probably why they didnt seem appetizing to him

Oh, thats good info thanks. but still it doesnt answer the question why is his casque so small? It was the same size when i got it a few weeks ago

doubt anyone knows exactly why the casque would be small since you dont know the prior owner and history much but it really dont look all that small rather rounded from the pictures. He is probably just fine with a small one the females might not like him :rolleyes: Id be more concerned with proper nutrition and supplementing which can lead to all sorts of mess if not corrected in time.

Not saying you need to feed crickets just something better than only super worms and mealworms and waxies. Sometimes it takes more than ripping apart a cricket for one day anyways. My cham ate his first hornworms the other week didnt eat another cricket till about few days ago.He was eating 10-15 a day before the worms . Tried even feeding another worm after not eating for 5 days straight. He shot it took one bite and spit it 4ft down to the ground.After about 10 11 days or more of barely eating anything but veggies, hes Back to business as usual the cricket slinger. Just goes to show sometime you need more patience. I dont care if you ever feed crickets he might really hate them you never know though. Let a cricket free roam maybe your cham would like to hunt even.

doubt anyone knows exactly why the casque would be small since you dont know the prior owner and history much but it really dont look all that small rather rounded from the pictures. He is probably just fine with a small one the females might not like him :rolleyes: Id be more concerned with proper nutrition and supplementing which can lead to all sorts of mess if not corrected in time.

Not saying you need to feed crickets just something better than only super worms and mealworms and waxies. Sometimes it takes more than ripping apart a cricket for one day anyways. My cham ate his first hornworms the other week didnt eat another cricket till about few days ago.He was eating 10-15 a day before the worms . Tried even feeding another worm after not eating for 5 days straight. He shot it took one bite and spit it 4ft down to the ground.After about 10 11 days or more of barely eating anything but veggies, hes Back to business as usual the cricket slinger. Just goes to show sometime you need more patience. I dont care if you ever feed crickets he might really hate them you never know though. Let a cricket free roam maybe your cham would like to hunt even.

I'll try to put a cricket in there to roam around and dance and what not. Im also going to try to break the news to him that he is not a chick magnet

I'll try to put a cricket in there to roam around and dance and what not. Im also going to try to break the news to him that he is not a chick magnet

Mine refuses crickets also and I basically feed him silks, horns, supers, occasional phoenix and waxworms. I keep trying on the crickets about every 6 weeks or so but nothing. OMG, the chick magnet thing is too funny!!!!

Mine refuses crickets also and I basically feed him silks, horns, supers, occasional phoenix and waxworms. I keep trying on the crickets about every 6 weeks or so but nothing. OMG, the chick magnet thing is too funny!!!!

Hahahah yeah, poor guy will never get a girlfriend. Anyway, maybe at the reptile show there will be a large variety of feeders. I saw millipedes and large spiders last time i went, those are unsafe for him, right?

Hahahah yeah, poor guy will never get a girlfriend. Anyway, maybe at the reptile show there will be a large variety of feeders. I saw millipedes and large spiders last time i went, those are unsafe for him, right?

crickets roaches silkworms probably be your best bet ...So in your case Id load up on silkworms not spiders and milipedes lol thats my opinion though.

heres some other feeder ideas and nutritional value

http://chamownersweb.net/insects/nutritional_values.htm

My cham has a small casque, but also came to me with a multitude of health problems - as long as you have your nutrition and husbandry right, any more growth due will happen - but maybe hes just quirky!

Also, have you tried feeding locusts? Crickets tend to scurry away and hide, mine wont eat them, but he will eat locusts (and now actively go hunting them :D) and rather than hiding away, they migrate up to the basking spot. You can buy such things online if you can't get them locally - take a look at the sponsor websites, most of them sell food!

A photo of my cham with his dinky casque!

155986_182514935096839_100000150017800_716028_4079551_n.jpg

melric id have to agree with you there are two species of vieled and the only difference is the hieghth of thiere cascade:D

Back
Top Bottom