Small Bump on Chameleon's Side

RockyoDragon

Hello! I'm new here, and I got my chameleon January 29th (or more technically gifted February 3rd), and I have had a small concern for about 2 or 3 weeks. I've went through different threads here, and I know about broken ribs, or the calcium build up, or even the spikes growing. The thing is, I don't know what my little dude Dartagnan has. I've seen everyone else having more than one, but in my case he only has a single bump above his ribcage. he is a veiled chameleon, and am disappointed to say he was bought from Petco (I'm not unhappy with my chameleon at all, I'm just a tad disappointed they chose to buy him from Petco). So I thought I might as well ask this community if they know what's up?
Dart with bump.jpg

I had just fed him a big meal so it's not too visible at the moment. I will try to get a better picture when you can see it a little better.

Are you sure it’s a he? Can you post a picture of your chameleons back feets so we can be sure its a male? About the bump it doesnt look like a broken rib to me. Have you tested him/her for parasites? It’s probably nothing. It can also be that its just a pattern.. this sounds stupid but are you sure its a bump?

Are you sure it’s a he? Can you post a picture of your chameleons back feets so we can be sure its a male? About the bump it doesnt look like a broken rib to me. Have you tested him/her for parasites? It’s probably nothing. It can also be that its just a pattern.. this sounds stupid but are you sure its a bump?
I'm about positive it's a bump. It wasn't there before, and it's just not as visible right now. I can probably get a better picture of it soon. Also, the reason I think it's a boy is because I'm used to the way on sexing a bearded dragon. That was probably my mistake there. Here's a view of his back feet. Also: I have not tested him for parasites, but I am definitely doing so soon.
dart's backfeet.jpg

Thats a female.. males have spirs on their back feet and they have bigger crests. About the bump, wait for like a week and if its not gone go to the vet to so you can see if its a parasite. I honeslty think its nothing but if it stays there go check it just to be sure.

Odds are bumps are small healed fractures of the cartilage ribs. Nothing to worry about if you just got the cham. Something to worry about if they happen in your care, its a sign of bone weakness.

You just ended up with a single break vs a row :)

I'm about positive it's a bump. It wasn't there before, and it's just not as visible right now. I can probably get a better picture of it soon. Also, the reason I think it's a boy is because I'm used to the way on sexing a bearded dragon. That was probably my mistake there. Here's a view of his back feet. Also: I have not tested him for parasites, but I am definitely doing so soon.
View attachment 296774
Yeah this is a female, from what I see. Do you know how to set up a lay bin?

View attachment 296774
You have a female. You might want to consider doing a husbandry review to ensure you have the right info for what she needs. There care differs just slightly from a male due to egg laying. Let us know if you want to do the review and we will post the questions for what you need to fill out.

The bump is quite small. Could be an old injury that has calcified.

And do not be ashamed that she is from Petco. Two of mine are and they were perfectly healthy when I got them and are wonderful boys.

As has been said, you need to have an egg laying bin in her cage at all times once she gets her big girl colors.
She can lay eggs once she is sexually mature even though/if she hasn't been with a male. Whether she will or not depends on how you keep her...if you keep he basking temperature at 80F and don't overfeed her once she is almost full grown, she will either produce no eggs or a small clutch she only needs 3 to 5 feeder insects two or three times a week ONCE SHE IS ALMOST FULL GROWN.
If you overfeed her and keep her basking temperature too high she will likely produce a large clutch, may develop MBD, may suffer from follicular stasis or eggbinding and die. Her life/future is in your hands.

Back
Top Bottom