Slugs Randomly Appearing in Koop's Cage

natureboy86

Ok..This is puzzling the crap out of me:confused: Every other month or so, I'll randomly see a baby slug slithering his way around the bottom of Koop's enclosure.. I'll remove it when I clean, no harm no foul... But where the hell did it come from? I never put a slug in there.. There's never more than one so there's not breeding going on or anything.. I'm lost on this one.. And it's happened on more than one occasion.. I've seen slugs probably 4 times in the last year or so.

All that's in my guy's enclosure is an umbrella plant, which I re-potted with organic soil the day i bought it. It's been in his cage ever since. I've never put any other outside source inside that I can think would transport a dam slug haha. Theyre' magically appearing.

Thoughts???

Is it just like a common garden slug? Could it be coming in from outside? Cham cage floor probably seems quite appealing to your slimy little friends :)

Is it just like a common garden slug? Could it be coming in from outside? Cham cage floor probably seems quite appealing to your slimy little friends :)

Yea it looks like a normal slug.. Like the kinds you'll see making tracks on the sidewalk, but smaller. No his cage is in my livingroom, beside my tv, intop of a nice vanity for drainage.. The only outside source in the cage is the umbrella plant, which I re-potted in my backyard probably 6 months ago when i bought it.. But even then, that was fresh organic soil right out the bag that I put in the put.. Not sure where the hell the slugs are coming from lol.. This is a mystery

I have the same problem but with snails. I would go to clean the fallen leaves from the base of the plant and I'll see baby snails on the leaves and under the rocks. I've never fed him snail or have them as feeders. My guess is there were eggs in the original soil the plant came with. But I'm not sure

Hmm 6 months is a long time. I know slug eggs can take up to 3 or 4 months to hatch, but 6 months seems like you should have seen some a while ago if any were hidden away in your potting soil.

Could there be eggs in the organic soil? Sounds plausible since there's no pesticides or anything in there.

I have the same problem but with snails. I would go to clean the fallen leaves from the base of the plant and I'll see baby snails on the leaves and under the rocks. I've never fed him snail or have them as feeders. My guess is there were eggs in the original soil the plant came with. But I'm not sure

Ok, I feel a little better that this isn't an isolated incident... and I'm not the only one :D

Could there be eggs in the organic soil? Sounds plausible since there's no pesticides or anything in there.

this is the only thing I can think of and that makes sense.. The plant and the soil are the only outside sources I've put in the cage other than feeders, none of which are slugs... I wonder if it is possible for slug/snail eggs to be in organic soil...hmmm

All that's in my guy's enclosure is an umbrella plant, which I re-potted with organic soil the day i bought it.

Thoughts???

You should have more live foliage than that. ;)

Im sure the slugs came in with the organic soil. THey are snaeaky little things, and have likely bred a few times in there.

I would keep removing them if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom