Slug Enclosure!

Most if not all of the cool nudibranches have pretty specific diets don't they? I can't remember why they weren't seen in the hobby all that much.

So I've been really interested in nudis and seaslugs since getting into the saltwater hobby. Apparently the difference is that nudibranchs are carnivorous, whereas seaslugs are not.

Some nudibranchs are actually really dangerous to fish, inverts, and coral and will actively hunt them. Some of them are poisonous or able to release toxins that would decimate the tank's stock. Sea slugs are easier to keep generally, but you're right that they tend to have very specific diets. I had a pair of "lettuce nudibranchs" (although they're technically sea slugs due to their diet) and they would only eat one specific type of macroalgae. Also they will readily get sucked into powerheads... wavemakers.... filter inflow.... it's like they want to kill themselves

So I've been really interested in nudis and seaslugs since getting into the saltwater hobby. Apparently the difference is that nudibranchs are carnivorous, whereas seaslugs are not.

Some nudibranchs are actually really dangerous to fish, inverts, and coral and will actively hunt them. Some of them are poisonous or able to release toxins that would decimate the tank's stock. Sea slugs are easier to keep generally, but you're right that they tend to have very specific diets. I had a pair of "lettuce nudibranchs" (although they're technically sea slugs due to their diet) and they would only eat one specific type of macroalgae. Also they will readily get sucked into powerheads... wavemakers.... filter inflow.... it's like they want to kill themselves

Ahhh yes. I remember the cucumbers and similar were also ticking time bombs which could poison the entire tank if threatened. And the pest nudibranches that would eat corals. Cow fish were another one that could destroy the tank.

Never knew the difference between slugs and nudibranches, thanks for sharing!

Update!!!

These little guys are actively eating and roaming around. They are so amusing to watch!!

Yes that's right, I found another slug. This time, a baby!! When I found him I was mowing my lawn. I was about to mow a section however there was a plastic tube on the floor, so I stopped and went to move it... and then I saw him. He was on top of the tube, boy oh boy am I so grateful i went over to pick up that garbage. He has stolen my heart. I can't wait to watch him grow!

20190612_235839.jpg

20190612_235741.jpg

Any name suggestions would be amazing! I'm growing attached to them Haha.

Back
Top Bottom