Slow grower?

Matthew43s

Established Member
It seems that KP is a little on the small side for his age. He should be around 7-8 months old at this time, but when I compare him to other Chams his age he seems to look small. He’s healthy, filled out, hydrated well.

I usually feed him around 8 large crickets, and 4 super worms on alternating days with snacks of black soldier fly larva 2 times a week. his droppings are consistent and seem to be normal,

His basking spot is now at 88, normal temp in the enclosure is around 77 in the middle 73 at the bottom. Humidity running around 60-80 depending on the time of day.

Watering him with a mistking setup to run
4 minutes @ 8am
4 minutes @ 11am
2 minutes @ 2pm
2 minutes @ 4pm
5 minutes @ 7pm

I’ve also caught him trying to eat the soil in his scheffelera plant these past few weeks even after I put stones over the soil.

I dust with calcium W/O D3 every day, calcium with D3 the first and third Friday of the month, and a vitamin supplement the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month. Because I know some people claim that chasm eat the soil because of lack of vitamins. But that shouldnt be a problem.

He also has been having a weird shed problem for the past month as you can see on him, his last shed didn’t come off the way it should.

Does he look small to you? Also yes, he’s insanely pissed off when I take him out lol

253D5A53-6483-43C5-9FA6-2785A85AAC71.jpeg
6685B3BE-760E-4C97-84D2-63185D1D054F.jpeg
D6DD1BCE-A9B3-4B9A-885C-4A2EC29E4250.jpeg
705FA959-FCB9-4D56-804C-E36A6CDFC7BF.jpeg

So, I know you answered some of this already, but if you fill out the info on the attached you may get some answers.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

With all the misting that is happening I am wondering what your humidity levels are. How about type of lights? You could raise the temps a touch in my opinion.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Vieled, either 7-8 months old, had him since October 3rd.
  • Handling - Only when neccesary, two to three times a month
  • Feeding - 8 large crickets, 4 super worms, black soldier fly larva as treats. As posted above. Feed him every day when I wake up, alternate between the two. Gut load crickets with my own blend of greens, fruits and vegetables that I have prepared into frozen cubes that I thaw out for the crickets. Gut load supers with carrots sweet patatoes and red bell peppers without the seeds.
  • Supplements - Stated above.
  • Watering - stated above.
  • Fecal Description - Stated above.
  • History - nothing out of the ordinary.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48 reptibreeze with plastic on the back and 3/4 of one side covered with black plastic board.
  • Lighting - Light your reptiles dual light fixture with 6% Arcadia UVB and 6.5k sunlight grow light, 12 hour schedule 8am-8pm. Mercury vapor heat bulb with adjustable rhetrostat suggested and given to me by Todd Goode at LYR
  • Temperature - Stated above, but I was told keep temps at 85 until 5 months then raise that by one degree until you hit 92 degrees.
  • Humidity - Stated above. 60-80% stays around high 60’s low 70’s until mistking comes on. Then dissipates quick due to having a fan constantly on in my room.
  • Plants - schefelera and a pothos
  • Placement - Bedroom, far corner, 4 foot from cieling fan. Low traffic area during the day, door is kept closed. Top of the enclosure is almost 8 foot from the ground.
  • Location - central Georgia.

Current Problem - Seems to be on the smaller side for his age. As stated above.

@kinyonga no I don’t have any lights on him at night, only thing that illuminates is my tv. Which he’s facing but he sleeps in the back corner where the black hard plastic board is.

And I don’t know what you mean when you ask if it’s producing any other color, I have two t5 flourecent tube bulbs in the dual fixture, both produce a 6.5k light spectrum, which mimics natural sun light. I don’t have a red bulb.

And the mercury vapor bulb has an orange tinge.

Would that have anything to do with his growth?

Try silkworms if you think he needs a boost. Otherwise, he looks good to me, and I don't think anything needs adjusted much.

Back
Top Bottom