Slightly Lethargic in Mornings

Kleynie

Hi all,
Zeus has been doing brilliantly in his new vivarium, until about a week ago, when he started to become slightly lethargic in the mornings, and it is only in the mornings, I quite often have to make him move to under his basking spot. Once he has been under his basking spot, he is perfectly normal and active for the rest of the day. He is showing no signs of other illnesses, only the lethargy in the mornings. Here is my husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 8 month old male Nosy Be panther, been in my care since September.
  • Handling - On his terms, he is very sociable and usually wants to come out every day.
  • Feeding - Staple feeders are crickets and locusts gut loaded with cavolo nero, collards, spring greens, kale and occasional fruit and veg, he's fed 5-7 a day. He also has wax worms as treats once a week. I get different staple feeders such as roaches when possible, but they are hard to come by here, and he doesn't particularly like anything else anyway.
  • Supplements - Using Pro Rep calci dust every feeding on one insect, and Exo Terra multivitamin every other week, as well as Exo Terra calcium with D3 every other week.
  • Watering - He has a Reptirain going for 30 seconds every 3 hours so that he can drink, he also gets a long misting in the morning and before bed, with a couple of shorter ones in between.
  • Fecal Description - Nothing unusual, they look the same as they have since September, urates are mostly pearly white.
  • History - He was born in a trusted breeders, that's all I've got.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2'x2'x4' Reptibreeze with a custom live background and bioactive setup with all live plants.
  • Lighting - Zoo med 2' vivarium hood with T5HO 5% UVB bulb, brand new. 100W Exo Terra basking bulb attached to a Microclimate b1 dimming thermostat.
  • Temperature - Basking 29-31C (86-88F), lowest temperature is 21C (70F), which is maintained by underfloor heating, so is fairly reliable in it's measurements. Night time temperature is no lower than 19C.
  • Humidity - Up to 70% after mistings, drops to about 35% when dry, at this point I will mist him to raise the humidity. Goes up to 100% at night, then drops to around 70% by the morning.
  • Plants - All live, I'm not entirely sure what they are as my girlfriend is a plant fanatic and does all the plants for me, however, I do know I have a ficus benjamina.
  • Placement - In the corner of a room, on a stand made by me.
  • Location - Near Heathrow airport, London.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Please post some percent photos of him.
Why dust only one insect? Do you dust lightly or heavily?
Thanks for the reply, I dust heavily, and always give him the dusted insect first so that he eats it every time I feed him. Here are the photos

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_114126.jpg
    IMG_20200319_114126.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200310_170022.jpg
    IMG_20200310_170022.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 92
Please post some percent photos of him.
Why dust only one insect? Do you dust lightly or heavily?
Another couple of things that might be useful to know, he gets 12 hours lights off time, I see him drinking very often, and his grip is still extremely good.

Hi all,
Zeus has been doing brilliantly in his new vivarium, until about a week ago, when he started to become slightly lethargic in the mornings, and it is only in the mornings, I quite often have to make him move to under his basking spot. Once he has been under his basking spot, he is perfectly normal and active for the rest of the day. He is showing no signs of other illnesses, only the lethargy in the mornings. Here is my husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 8 month old male Nosy Be panther, been in my care since September.
  • Handling - On his terms, he is very sociable and usually wants to come out every day.
  • Feeding - Staple feeders are crickets and locusts gut loaded with cavolo nero, collards, spring greens, kale and occasional fruit and veg, he's fed 5-7 a day. He also has wax worms as treats once a week. I get different staple feeders such as roaches when possible, but they are hard to come by here, and he doesn't particularly like anything else anyway.
  • Supplements - Using Pro Rep calci dust every feeding on one insect, and Exo Terra multivitamin every other week, as well as Exo Terra calcium with D3 every other week.
  • Watering - He has a Reptirain going for 30 seconds every 3 hours so that he can drink, he also gets a long misting in the morning and before bed, with a couple of shorter ones in between.
  • Fecal Description - Nothing unusual, they look the same as they have since September, urates are mostly pearly white.
  • History - He was born in a trusted breeders, that's all I've got.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2'x2'x4' Reptibreeze with a custom live background and bioactive setup with all live plants.
  • Lighting - Zoo med 2' vivarium hood with T5HO 5% UVB bulb, brand new. 100W Exo Terra basking bulb attached to a Microclimate b1 dimming thermostat.
  • Temperature - Basking 29-31C (86-88F), lowest temperature is 21C (70F), which is maintained by underfloor heating, so is fairly reliable in it's measurements. Night time temperature is no lower than 19C.
  • Humidity - Up to 70% after mistings, drops to about 35% when dry, at this point I will mist him to raise the humidity. Goes up to 100% at night, then drops to around 70% by the morning.
  • Plants - All live, I'm not entirely sure what they are as my girlfriend is a plant fanatic and does all the plants for me, however, I do know I have a ficus benjamina.
  • Placement - In the corner of a room, on a stand made by me.
  • Location - Near Heathrow airport, London.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Is your local weather colder than it has been? Is the ROOM cooler? If so, it is probably taking him a little longer to reach operating temperature in the mornings. As long as he does bask he'll get there.

Is your local weather colder than it has been? Is the ROOM cooler? If so, it is probably taking him a little longer to reach operating temperature in the mornings. As long as he does bask he'll get there.
I think this is a possibility to be honest, it definitely seems like he could be just warming up.

Update: last night I turned his lights off at 5 instead of 7, giving him 14 hours to sleep rather than 12, he's more active this morning and was basking as soon as I got up. Is it possible he wasn't getting enough sleep?

Update: last night I turned his lights off at 5 instead of 7, giving him 14 hours to sleep rather than 12, he's more active this morning and was basking as soon as I got up. Is it possible he wasn't getting enough sleep?
Probably not. I think the local temps are more likely the issue.

Back
Top Bottom