Slight dehydration

rastamarley

So I have had a Jacksons for over a year now and have had no problems until now. I recently put him in a larger enclosure with a large plant (ficus) and had no problems getting him to drink (I never have had problems getting him to drink and used fake plants for all but the month and a half with the ficscus). However the plant wasn't doing soo well and I took the plant out and redid the enclosure with fake stuff, and now he won't drink! His eyes are starting to look slightly sunking in and I am starting to get worried, I am going to do these two things next.

I am going to take the enclosure in the shower and rinse and wash it down very well (couldn't hurt right?). I am also going to go to the pet store buy a few more fake leaves and such and try to get him set up with a very easy to drink from platform. Other then that if anyone has anymore suggestions by all means let me know!

Oh I have a home made dripper on top of the cage and I also mist.
'
He is also still eating 2 - 3 crickets

Personally I think live plants are best and more natural for chams. If he was drinking normally with a live plant I'd just stick one back in. Otherwise, yes, I'd put him in the shower to encourage him to start drinking.

I would switch to live plants if I were you. Since the ficus didn't work out you could try a pothos, schefflera arboricola, or hibiscus. Those are all safe plants for chams

ug

Well put him in the shower and using one of those pump action things sprayed him down nicley in there filling it up four times, however he still wont drink did open his mouth a but and theres water dripping everywhere soo I know he got something but this is very frusterating at this point I don't think the live plant is the issue.

hmmm

Okay so another update he hasn't taken a shit in a while and just took a huge shit in my bath tub hah. Anyway maybe that will help? Maybe he was concipated or something.

Please fill out the questions in the "how to ask for help" thread at the top of the health section.

Also...did you wash the fake plants well before you put them in the cage? Both sides of the leaves?

I will go fill that out well, when the live plant was in there I washed it very well before I put it in, however the fake plants I just rinsed is that where I possibly went wrong? Didn't think it would be as big of a deal with fake leaves.

Your Chameleon - Jacksons probaly about 1 year and 3 months I have had him for 1 year 1 month
Handling - He has recently been handled a little more then normal with the whole changing around of the cage, however usually about once every 2 weeks.
Feeding - I feed my cham mainly crickets I feed the crickets every day with orange, carrots, and other things I dust the crickets a couple times a week

Watering - I have a home made dripper (water bottle with 2 small holes cut in it and I also spray until I see him drink, usually getting him to drink is not a problem.

It has been a while since he shit wich he just did, looked a little orange and like it was 3 shits in one. He has never been tested for parasites. (edit probaly been 3- 4 days since he shit last)

He is captive born I got him from a private owned place and am friends with the owner and some of his workers.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen cage almost 4 ft tall, each side is about 14" wide
Lighting - use a uv heat combo its a power sun.

Temperature - I have a thermometer the basking spot is 85 toward the top of the cage the bottom is 70 f night temp drops to about 60 - 65 f

Humidity - I don't know my humidity lvls however I live in a rather rainy and somewhat humid place I also spray down his cage well twice a day.

Plants - Had a ficus in there for a month and a half and it started dying switched back to fake plants and now am having this problem.

Placement -The cage is by 2 big windows for natural sunlight have a ceiling fan across the room that gives him some moving air also open the windows at various times

Location - North Wa

Current Problem - He is deyhydrated haven't seen him really drink since I switched his cage around it is vexing. His eyes are slightly sunking in and he isn't quite as active as he usually is. (edit today is the first day I noticed his eyes being slightly sunking)

There could be "chemicals" on the fake leaves from the process of producing them, so I always wash them well before using them. After all the chameleon is likely going to lick the water off of them. I don't know if this could have anything to do with the problem or not.

Can he get out of the UVB? (In the "shade" so to speak?)

Yes I hanging from the left side of the ceiling of the cage I set up hanging fake plants to give him nice shade, also if he goes down to the bottom of the cage he get shade easily. I will wash the cage very well and see if that helps though I hate to have to take him out of the cage and handle him again.

He is moving around more after the shower and the huge shit he took, soo I think that is a good sign, I will give him a shower a day until he starts drinking again. I also went out and bought a big dripper soo he will have a more constant source of water he will drink!

ya well I just gave him another shower but he is back to just lying on the vine resting his head on it this isn't looking good.

well know one has even really posted in a while soo not sure why im even bothering but I am taking im to the vet in about an hour sooo hopefully he is good to go!

Sorry to hear that he's not doing well...vet is a good decision.

What specific supplements are you using and how often for each?
Also wondering if that UVB light is too strong for him?

Do you still have the plant you took out? Why not give it a try to just put it in and see if it changes anything? It may be just that simple. If you didn't think it was anything to do with it then why mention it?
Rule out all possibilities and the one left is elementary, dear Watson.
Or just go to a vet - let us know how it goes........

Back
Top Bottom