Sleepyhead

terrahm

So just a quick question, I had my cham on a 9:30-9:30 schedule, but recently he's been going to bed earlier. The past 2 days he's gone to bed at 9 and today it's 8pm and he's fast asleep in his sleeping spot all curled up in his pj's :ROFLMAO:. Growing little man seems to get tired a little earlier. Should I follow his sleeping schedule or continue to follow mine? I don't want him to wake up tomorrow bright and early at 8am and he doesn't see daylight until 9:30!!

So just a quick question, I had my cham on a 9:30-9:30 schedule, but recently he's been going to bed earlier. The past 2 days he's gone to bed at 9 and today it's 8pm and he's fast asleep in his sleeping spot all curled up in his pj's :ROFLMAO:. Growing little man seems to get tired a little earlier. Should I follow his sleeping schedule or continue to follow mine? I don't want him to wake up tomorrow bright and early at 8am and he doesn't see daylight until 9:30!!
Well...... I wish I woke up at 9:30 :ROFLMAO: Honestly though, IMO, it makes most sense to cater to his habits. When his lights come on in the morning, that is daylight to him. Unless you have a window situation or something throwing other factors in. I think they are more in tune with natural rhythms than we often give credit for. I am not an expert but that’s just my two cents.

Well...... I wish I woke up at 9:30 :ROFLMAO: Honestly though, IMO, it makes most sense to cater to his habits. When his lights come on in the morning, that is daylight to him. Unless you have a window situation or something throwing other factors in. I think they are more in tune with natural rhythms than we often give credit for. I am not an expert but that’s just my two cents.
I'm a night owl so my room has light blocking curtains and one lamp :LOL: I usually wake up, turn his lights on, feed him, mist him, and then go straight back to bed. I guess I'll set my alarm for 8 tomorrow :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: The things I do for this little squirt

I'm a night owl so my room has light blocking curtains and one lamp :LOL: I usually wake up, turn his lights on, feed him, mist him, and then go straight back to bed. I guess I'll set my alarm for 8 tomorrow :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: The things I do for this little squirt
Definitely definitely recommend getting a timer for your lights (or multiple timers depending on your setup)! Makes things easier on you and helps him regulate with consistency. You can observe and tweak his schedule accordingly :)

Definitely definitely recommend getting a timer for your lights (or multiple timers depending on your setup)! Makes things easier on you and helps him regulate with consistency. You can observe and tweak his schedule accordingly :)
Will pick one up at home depot tomorrow! Thank you for the help!

I was recently reading the materials provided on chameleons.info by Petr Necas, explaining the concept of creating the most natural environment as possible for your chameleon. This includes following the natural dry and wet seasons where lighting and misting timing varies based on the season. Petr's theory is that the more we can replicate the natural habitat their DNA is designed for, the longer they might live. Not sure if I'll ever get to that point with my husbandry, but I do at least try to follow a programmed schedule as outlined by Bill Strand on chameleonacademy.com. I have everything plugged into a WiFi enabled surge protector and each plug programmed on its own off/on schedule throughout the day. The result is creating a natural cycle of overnight darkness with misting and fog for humidity, daytime lighting for plants and basking, and even an afternoon rain shower event.

Back
Top Bottom