Sleepy Napping Cham

CBPanther

OMG, I can't believe I am typing this, I hate to think there is something wrong with him. So Khan is about 3.5months old and lately he wants to lay in his sleeping spot from about 4:00pm EST to 8:30PM (When his lights turn off). Today however, I just went down there (it's 2:44pm) and he is there already! When he does this I lift his whole cage up and bring it outside for fresh air and real sunlight... He usually starts roaming immediatly. Today, its to hot to do that but is this an issue? He doesnt sleep while he is there, just lays there on his sleeping branch with eyes open and alert. Issue here, or just lazy?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe cross from Kammers. Never really showed any color, not even base color. Still grey, 3.5 months old.

Handling - I dont. I have tried to but he lunged, also tried the stick trick.

Feeding - Feed him every day, small crickets. Offer mealworms, but doesnt eat those and once a week a silkworm.

Supplements - Calc without D3 Every feeding, W/ D3 twice a month and MultiVitamin 2X a month. Repcal.

Watering - MistKing comes on every three hours, and I spray the cage when I am down there and I see it is dry. I dont see him drink, but I see him lick around when he walks.

Fecal Description - No orange in urites, solid black/brown coloration with white tip. Fecal looks good, not runny. Not tested.

History - He is usually pretty active, or atleast while he is not in his sleeping spot. Looks healthy, bones look good and all. Just no coloration and weird napping activity.

Cage Info:
Cage Type
- 16X 16X 36 LLL Reptile screen cage.
Lighting - Zoomed tube reptirun 5.0 UVB light, 60W house bulb and then a 40W for extra light above his cage a bit. Lights on 8:30, off 8:30PM.

Temperature - 83 Basking, ambient are 70s, sleeping is like 72. No lights at night.

Humidity - None gauged, but misting atleast 4 times a day.

Plants - One Umbrella plant and 3 flake plants, with vines and branches.

Placement - About 3 feet off the ground, in a corner about 15 feet away from the window.

Location - Georgia

Current Problem - The current problem is he is napping (with eyes open) in his sleeping spot roughly 4/6 hours before lights off.

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 144
George has done this today, he didn't sleep, but he was in one of his sleeping spots (He actually has a few) with his tail curled up almost like he was ready for bed, yet his eyes were alert and he looks physically fine. He was basking all morning though, so just like you, he was in his sleeping spot 4-6 hours before bed time. My guess is that it's nothing to worry about, but that's my guess as a none expert. If he actually sleeps, I'd see it as a worrying thing. I'm gonna keep an eye on him tomorrow.

Well your husbandry is pretty spot on. Does he close his eyes during the day? If not he could just be relaxing before bed time. If he's eating fine then that's also good. Might just want to get him tested for worms. Not because he's been lazy but because there may be something in him that needs taking care of.

Even though you mist a lot you want a gauge. My guys are older but do this from time to time. As long as he is eating and eyes are open I wouldn't worry too much.

He's not napping if his eyes are open. More than likely he got hot and went to his favorite spot to cool down before he goes to sleep. Mine does this everyday goes to his branch at least two hours before lights go off. Now, if his eyes are closed and it's not bed time you might have a problem. Take a chill pill.

I agree, if he's not closing his eyes then he isn't sleeping so it's not technically a problem. If, however, he's sleeping then there is likely a light or temperature issue. My panthers will get in their 'bed branch' spot a few hours before lights off and just chill out before bedtime. This behavior is perfectly normal. Outside time is great though!

Ok great to hear that a lot of your chameleons will chill before bed, even more than 2 hours before. I guess since Khan is still young, he gets tired easily. I have never seen him close his eyes while resting, but I will keep an eye out. Oh ya he LOVES being outside, he crawls around like there is no tomorrow :D

Little man is awesome and I was just being a worried parent. Ill keep everyone updated after his next shed (should be coming soon since he hasnt shed for about three weeks)... hopefully some awesome coloration will show.

Back
Top Bottom