Sleepy Chameleon

Fkraatz

Hello! I'm new to owning Chameleons and I just got a 4 month old veil chameleon. I have had him for 3 days and he seems to be adjusting very well. He eats 10-15 crickets a day. I hold him once a day at least and he does really well, loves to sit on my head, but he falls asleep if I leave him there, like every time. Is he just sleeping because he is still a baby? He has pooped once and it looked healthy, he likes eating the leaves of the live bamboo plant I have in his cage too. my main question is if his always falling asleep when on my head a normal thing?

He shouldn't be falling asleep on your head. He's either overwhelmed by too much handling or there's something wrong. Leave him alone more and let him get used to his new home and his new territory. Don't take this personally, but climbing up to the top of your head isn't a sign that he's enjoying you, its his attempt to get as high off the ground as possible. Its a sign that he feels vulnerable, not happy.

What specific type of "bamboo" is he eating? The so-called "lucky bamboo" is probably not safe for such a small cham to be eating much of. Check the tab "Resources" and look for the "safe plants list" to make sure.

He shouldn't be falling asleep on your head. He's either overwhelmed by too much handling or there's something wrong. Leave him alone more and let him get used to his new home and his new territory. Don't take this personally, but climbing up to the top of your head isn't a sign that he's enjoying you, its his attempt to get as high off the ground as possible. Its a sign that he feels vulnerable, not happy.

What specific type of "bamboo" is he eating? The so-called "lucky bamboo" is probably not safe for such a small cham to be eating much of. Check the tab "Resources" and look for the "safe plants list" to make sure.
Ok, thanks! I'm leaving him be today, other then putting some crickets in his enclosure. He seems to really want to eat plants along with his crickets. Do you have any small edible and easy to climb plants that you prefer? He has only taken 2 small bites out of the bamboo leaves and has tried to bite the fake plants I have in there too but they are too thick.

When you take them out of their cages and the room temperature isn't warm enough they will get cool and go to sleep often/usually.

I would offer it something like dandelion greens or kale or collards or thin strips of sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.
I would also receive the fake plants if he's nibbling them before he ends up ingesting one and becomes impacted.
I think there's a list of safe plants on here you can check out.

When you take them out of their cages and the room temperature isn't warm enough they will get cool and go to sleep often/usually.

I would offer it something like dandelion greens or kale or collards or thin strips of sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.
I would also receive the fake plants if he's nibbling them before he ends up ingesting one and becomes impacted.
I think there's a list of safe plants on here you can check out.
Ok, I'll go get another safe plant today and some veggies. So when I do hold him should I hold him in a room that's around 80-85 degrees?

Oops! I said "I wouldalso receive the fake plants"...should have said "I would also remove the fake plants".

You can take him to a warmer room...but also I'd say just don't keep him out too long in the room you were using...you don't want to end up with a sick chameleon.

Oops! I said "I wouldalso receive the fake plants"...should have said "I would also remove the fake plants".

You can take him to a warmer room...but also I'd say just don't keep him out too long in the room you were using...you don't want to end up with a sick chameleon.
When he is bigger will he be able to stay out longer?

The bigger body will take more time to cool off so maybe.
In the summer I would think your house would be warmer too...right??

The bigger body will take more time to cool off so maybe.
In the summer I would think your house would be warmer too...right??
Totally, I live in Portland and the winter this here has been colder than usual. Also, I haven't seen him drink at all but I do spray the plants. Do you think he is drinking? Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new at this :)

Also, if I am gut loading his crickets with fluker's orange 3 cubes then do I still need to lightly coat the crickets in the calcium plus supplement?

Yes you
Also, if I am gut loading his crickets with fluker's orange 3 cubes then do I still need to lightly coat the crickets in the calcium plus supplement?
Yes you do need to use the calcium. Dont use the flukers. It has lots of chemicals and if your crickets eat it, then your chameleon ends up eating it also. A better choice is fresh fruits and veggies such as carrots, apples, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, kale etc.

Yes you

Yes you do need to use the calcium. Dont use the flukers. It has lots of chemicals and if your crickets eat it, then your chameleon ends up eating it also. A better choice is fresh fruits and veggies such as carrots, apples, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, kale etc.
Sounds great! Thanks so much for your help! He is actually in his shower for the first time right now and seems to be loving it!

I would set up a dripper if you aren't using one already in addition to misting the cage.you have to run both long enough to stimulate the chameleon to drink. The dripper can be a deli cup that has a tiny hole punched in the bottom of it so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.

You need to be sure you dust the insects with the proper supplements.... phosphorus-free calcium at almost every feeding, phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month and a vitamin powder twice a month.

I would set up a dripper if you aren't using one already in addition to misting the cage.you have to run both long enough to stimulate the chameleon to drink. The dripper can be a deli cup that has a tiny hole punched in the bottom of it so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.

You need to be sure you dust the insects with the proper supplements.... phosphorus-free calcium at almost every feeding, phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month and a vitamin powder twice a month.
Fantastic, thank you! do you have a specific D3 and vitamin powder you like/trust?

Welcome to the forum!

I use Zoo-med Reptical without D3 and Zoo-med Reptical WITH D3. For vitamin powder, I like Rep-Cal Herptivite. You can also use Zoo-med Reptivite, but you'll have to be careful not to overdose with Reptivite since it uses preformed Vitamin A, which can build up in the body and lead to poisoning. Herptivite uses beta carotene for vitamin A, so you won't overdose.

As for checking if he's drinking, you can check his poop. There should be a white part. If it's orange, it can be a sign of dehydration. Sunken eyes are also a sign of dehydration.

Wonderful! I have been dusting his crickets with repashy superfoods calcium plus which has calcium and vitamins and is meant to be used on every feeding and just bought zoo med reptivite with D3. How many times do I use the D3 per month? Also, is my cham too small to eat superworms? He's about 3 months old. :)

D3 should be dusted lightly atleast twice per month. Superworms are good once in a while. Not the best as a staple feeder in their diet. Make sure you only give him small or medium sized worms if you do feed him supers.

Back
Top Bottom