Sleeping schedule

Chammy007

Established Member
Hello, I’m a bit of a night owl. I’m up at about 3 in the afternoon and I go to sleep around about 6 in the morning. Is it safe for my Jackson’s to be on the same schedule as me? For Remmy, my Chammy, it’s lights on at 3pm and off at 3am. Is 12 hour intervals for lights on and off suitable? Thanks much.peace

It depends on your area, but I dont think it becomes daylight at 3pm, if its bright outside before you turn the lights on, then the chameleon will wake up before the lights are on as well, which does not give them a 12 hour cycle. Now if the room is blacked out, then it could work.

IMO, this needs further research.

Considering how important circadian rhythms are to humans over the long term, I'd try to keep any animals on what's natural for them. If you're young now, you can get away with being a night owl, but that will most likely change with age. Chameleons—having such a short lifespan—may be more susceptible or adversely affected more quickly... IDK.

A starting point might be this from Reptiles Magazine 2018:
The Reptilian Biological Clock

Other leads:

circadian rhythm chameleons (Google)

circadian rhythm in reptiles (Google Scholar)

circadian rhythm chameleons site:www.chameleonforums.com (forum archive search)

I had one room in my house that I kept a lot of lizards and such in and it had no windows so to help me be able to feed, water, clean cages I had it set to have lights go on later shut off later. Seemed like it didn't make a difference to the reptiles once they got used to it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom