sleeping during the day

serenaj25

Avid Member
please read all before commenting.

so around 2 weeks ago I got my baby panther chameleon, Cosmo he was 2 weeks old when I got him now is around a little bit short of a month old. he seems to be a very healthy and happy baby, eating flightless fruit flies and pinhead crickets daily all who have been gut loaded with carrots, collard greens and kale. Even though I gut load I still dust daily with calcium w no D3 and 2 times a month he has multivitamin powder and calcium w D3. he drinks water I see him doing it, I mist him with a hand mister full of distilled water multiple times a day for 1 minute sessions. I also have a fogger that is on halfway all day and on full blast for around 10 mins after he eats. I feed him in a plastic bin full of bugs (as mentioned above) so I can monitor how much he eats and so no food gets wasted. for the last week or so he has been sleeping quite a bit during the day and sometimes even when I pick him up to feed him he falls asleep on my finger. I read that it might be a bit too hot in his cage thats why he's been sleeping so I am now using a red night light for daytime so it isn't as hot along with a UVB bulb. he has 12 hr of complete darkness undisturbed and 12 hours of light on. temps are low 80's now, they were high 80's before. could he be sick? what causes these types of behaviours in such young chams?should I take him in for a vet visit? any help would be appreciated.

here are some pictures of him

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 144
Did you get him from a breeder? Breeders shouldnt sell them that young. There's a natural mortality rate in hatchlings ..some just don't make it and those often die before the 3 mointh age mark. I hope this i s not one if them.

Let's hope this is not the case and see if we can figure out what's going on.
Did you change anything just before he started doing this?

I changed the post you quoted because I re read your post and realized I answered my own question.

Last edited:
Did you get him from a breeder? Breeders shouldnt sell them that young. There's a natural mortality rate in hatchlings ..some just don't make it and those often die before the 3 mointh age mark. I hope this i s not one if them.

Let's hope this is not the case and see if we can figure out what's going on.
Did you change anything just before he started doing this?

Unchanged the post you quoted because I re read your post and answered my own question.
no I didn't change anything. he eats and drinks perfectly normally I just don't know whats wrong. why not use a red light during the day?

How many insects does he eat a day? Has that decreased since he's been shutting his eyes?
some days he will eat around 10-12 and other days he will eat 4-8 usually after he eats a lot the next day he won't eat so much. I havent seen a loss of appetite or anything like that, he's still his silly little self eating and drinking like a champ, thats what makes this situation so strange!

Is the fogger off at night? Is it off early enough for his cage to dry out before he sleeps? Do you have any light on him at night?

Is the fogger off at night? Is it off early enough for his cage to dry out before he sleeps? Do you have any light on him at night?
his fogger goes off right when his lights do... that may be part of the issue but I can't see why since it is on a very low setting where it only increases humidity and not giving off visible steam or anything like that. no lights on at night what so ever

Can you post a photo of the cage in relation to the wndow please!
here's the best pic i've got at the moment (parents are divorced and i'm not at my dads where my cham is to take a pic right now ) blue light is only from the fogger that is going off right now

Attachments

• IMG_3233.PNG
    IMG_3233.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
I'm concerned that if the cage is damp when the lights go off that the coolness from the (shut) window might cause him health issues.
Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's causing the problem. I'm trying...wish it was more obvious.

I'm concerned that if the cage is damp when the lights go off that the coolness from the (shut) window might cause him health issues.
Sometimes it's hard to figure out what's causing the problem. I'm trying...wish it was more obvious.
I really appreciate your attentiveness to this thread and all of the concern you have given me and my baby boy. from now on I will make sure not to mist too close to when his lights go off and to turn off the fogger earlier. if his sleeping gets worse then I will take him into the vet this week. I will keep updating

do you know if its normal for babies to sleep more than adults do? my thought was that this might be normal since human babies need more sleep too. just a thought

Back
Top Bottom