Sleeping Chameleons: What do they prefer?

Forest Gump

I have some mountain climbing rope suspended in the air. My veiled chameleon sleeps on the rope each night. Just curious what is the best sleeping items for chameleons? I have heard they sleep on little hammocks, is that something they prefer? What does yours prefer to sleep on? I am taking a picture of my chameleon right now.... here it is> I use bamboo, zip ties, climbing rope, and a lot of hot glue for his setup. He has been living in this room for 4 months now, and I have a secondary enclosure for him as well. He has been growing strong, he is 11 months old, had him since he was a few weeks old. He eats wax worms, superworms, crickets, and hornworms just added to his diet once as a treat so far. Got any pictures of yours sleeping, please share. Thanks!
fullsizeoutput_1d35.jpeg

Chams usually like to sleep where they feel secure and protected, which would mean that some thick foliage covering is preferred. Hammocks work, some chameleons will use them and others won't, but if you choose to provide one I'd put it somewhere that's well covered.

This is Ophelia sleeping in a potted plant. I just thought she had a cute butt haha... but that's probably weird @alphakenc , what do you think?

Attachments

• 20170115_164505.jpg
    20170115_164505.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 127
I will add a little hammock for him, see if he likes it. He really likes the climbing ropes. I have noticed that he always climbs out to the furthest point, distance wise, away from his usual spot, to go poop,etc. Why do they do that? Do you think it knows?

fullsizeoutput_1d71.jpeg
SDC13640.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d36.jpeg
SDC13636.JPG
SDC13637.JPG
SDC13638.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d37.jpeg
SDC13640.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d4e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d71.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d36.jpeg
SDC13636.JPG
SDC13637.JPG
SDC13638.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d37.jpeg
SDC13640.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d4e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d71.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d36.jpeg
SDC13636.JPG
SDC13637.JPG
SDC13638.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d37.jpeg
SDC13640.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d4e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d71.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d36.jpeg
SDC13636.JPG
SDC13637.JPG
SDC13638.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d37.jpeg
SDC13640.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1d4e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d71.jpeg
I added a few more pictures of his free range. He even added a few pictures of his hanging out at the pool area. Sometimes he just sits with me on the pool float and we just chill-lax

I will add a little hammock for him, see if he likes it. He really likes the climbing ropes. I have noticed that he always climbs out to the furthest point, distance wise, away from his usual spot, to go poop,etc. Why do they do that? Do you think it knows?

I notice you don't have any natural bark-covered branches. Bamboo is really slippery and a poor choice of perch. So are smooth dowels. You haven't given your chameleon much of a choice.

Are those green-colored bamboo stakes from a garden center? I believe the green bamboo stakes are treated with a toxic preservative.

Chameleons don't sleep on flat surfaces (hammocks) unless they are terribly weak. They sleep on branches, often vertically.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom