Sleep Schedule

Gchoylman

I have a male baby veiled Chameleon. Even though I turn off his UVB light at 10:00pm he still stays up. I 've seen him up at like 2:00 am. I do leave his basking light on thats red so that the cage stays warm but it still drops a little in temperature. But now that I check on him he is still asleep and it's 1:30 pm! Is he sleeping late because he was up late or should I be worried that he is sleeping during the day, which is the universal chameleon sign for sick?

Chameleons don't really need a night light :) I actually had a red light on for awhile and my Jacksons' sleeping schedule was all weird. Now that I have it compeltly dark in the room at night he seems to go to bed a little earlier and he seems to be awake when I get up 6am.

I have a male baby veiled Chameleon. Even though I turn off his UVB light at 10:00pm he still stays up. I 've seen him up at like 2:00 am. I do leave his basking light on thats red so that the cage stays warm but it still drops a little in temperature. But now that I check on him he is still asleep and it's 1:30 pm! Is he sleeping late because he was up late or should I be worried that he is sleeping during the day, which is the universal chameleon sign for sick?

Turn off ALL lights at night. Unless your room gets down below 55 F at night you don't need heat.

Welcome to the forum!

He is awake at night because of the red light.
Unfortunately, plenty of petstores have wrongly told people to buy them for their chams.
Good thing he has a caring owner, asking questions on a good forum :)
I wouldn't panic just yet, but replace that light with a regular incandescent household lightbulb of the right wattage to keep his basking temperature where it should be--and only keep it on when the UVB bulb is on.
10-12 hours of complete darkness is best.
He should improve a lot within a day or two.

It's actually healthy for chams to have a drop in temperature at night.
You can carefully read this caresheet for more info on what he needs:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

You could also cut and paste the questions from https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
and add your answers.
This way, fellow forum members can let you know if there is anything else that would be important to change to help him be healthy.

He still asleep!

It's 2:20 pm and he is still asleep! I try to wake him and he'll open his eyes and then just go back to sleep! Should I be worried or is it just because his schedule is off?!l

It could be his schedule is all thrown off, but if you continue to turn off his lights at night, and he continues to sleep during the day then there might be something else going on with him.

Sorry but there really is no way for anyone to know with certainty at this point, whether or not he has become sick from staying awake all night.
I wouldn't wake him up, though.

I would definitely cut and paste the questions from https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
and add all your answers.

This way, fellow forum members can let you know if there is anything else that needs to be changed.

Back
Top Bottom