Skinny superworms?

thePopeJP

So quick question...

Seems like super worms are an easy breeder, but if you use them as a main feeder you may as well be feeding your cham french fries... Haha. (just a joke! superworms are super!)

They take bran/oats as there main food, but has anyone ever tried raising them on a high protein/ low fat food? May just go against there nature, but I wonder even if you mixed in some kind of protein powder and calcium with their oats if it would make them healthier?

They are not like french fries. There are some chameleons that will not eat anything else, and they do just fine as long as they are gutloaded properly. That said, a varied diet is better and preferred.

It's best just to raise them in a good, high quality, nutritious substrate. Oats and bran alone are far from that. Adding spirulina, bee pollen, wheat germ, and other nutritious things is best.

The people that make cricket crack also create a bedding for superworms called Super Chow. It has all the ingredients cricket crack contains but its just chunkier.

Haha, I wasnt being serious about the French fries thing, with how much some chams seem to love them and get addicted it makes me think of little kids who only want French fries because yes... They taste so good!

And that's what I wanted to hear, because every breeding video I could find were just using either bran or oats substrate, and it seemed obvious to me that you could just supplement them to make them suitable.

Just wanted to clarify, particularly for anyone who is newer and read that. :)

The cheapest and easiest way isn't always the best. Oats and bran will keep them alive and thriving, but it is obviously not all that good for the chameleons and other reptiles.

They are not like french fries. There are some chameleons that will not eat anything else, and they do just fine as long as they are gutloaded properly. That said, a varied diet is better and preferred.

It's best just to raise them in a good, high quality, nutritious substrate. Oats and bran alone are far from that. Adding spirulina, bee pollen, wheat germ, and other nutritious things is best.

I don't use them as a staple but do breed them. They are pretty easy to breed and really hard to kill and last almost forever. The only problem I have had is getting some little yellow bugs invading their substrate..:mad: They do have a smell to them...:(
I actually just put together another substrate/gutload today and here is what's in it: Alfalfa, Oats, Wheat germ, spirulina, Kelp powder, coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, Hemp seeds, Flax seed. I grind this up into a powder because then it is really easy to sift out the worms when the bedding needs changing. In addition to this I add carrots every other day and a mix of other wet stuff that I change out on top of the bedding.

The little yellow bugs are probably mites that are attracted to too much moisture in your bedding. They are a pain to get rid of once they are in there. If you start new cultures in a different room and keep them a bit dryer, it might cure the problem for you.

The little yellow bugs are probably mites that are attracted to too much moisture in your bedding. They are a pain to get rid of once they are in there. If you start new cultures in a different room and keep them a bit dryer, it might cure the problem for you.

I was afraid of that. I have had the colony in another bin for a month now out in the garage and have sterilized the breeding drawer tower. I removed all the substrate and then left them without substrate for a week...sprayed the carpet etc with a mite spray...we will see when I add them back to the drawer tower if the yellow bugs return. I haven't seen a yellow bug in the month they have been gone from the room.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom