Skin prob - vet didn't help.. :(

xsteffroxx

Male Panther, roughly 2 years old (been with me a year)

Poor guy has a big splotch of blackened skin - he shed and this skin is the last to come off... it started on hus elbows and knees, but i got really concerned when he got this spot on his side, then it seemed to grow. Then, the ridge going down his back started looking funny, then
1502826505610602128515.jpg
1502826593992827059207.jpg
scabbed over, and at least one part is still raw.

He has always had really bad aim; we've always had to hand feed him. He will only eat worms. We've been giving superworms some calcium fortified thirst quencher, and can generally get him to eat one or two that are dusted with Rapashy Calcium plus LoD.

Hottest part of his cage he can get to is 75, lowest is 69.... I know that's cold, but I thought he might be getting burnt, so I had moved his heat lamp further away... He gets misted a couple times a day, and I keep the live plants watered.

Any help or suggestions would be super appreciated! I spent a hundred bucks on the exotic pet vet who couldn't tell me anything... :(

I haven't dealt with thermal burns first hand so I could be wrong but it does look like a pattern and location that would be consistent with burns. I have heard several times that Silvadene which you can get from the vet is the best course of treatment. It looks as though it could be infected along the spine.

I am sorry your vet was unhelpful and hope that a member can further contribute.

You need to find a way to make the basking temperature at least in the low 80's without burning the chameleon.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum so we can help you better

I agree these areas looked burned. Notice how all but the one on his side are on TOP of the back and legs where the heat would hit first from above? The side burn could happen if he is flattening himself and leaning to absorb more heat. If his cage is too cold he'll tend to sit as close to the basking bulb as he can, and sit there too long trying to get warm. If the rest of the cage is TOO cool, he won't move around much, just sit in one narrow intense beam of heat. How far away from the bulb is his perch? How do you measure the temps? Do you measure the temp right where he sits while basking? That is important. And, yes, give us more specifics about his setup, diet, supplementation, humidity, etc. so we can tease out any other things that may be off balance. Yes, Silvadene is a good topical med that will help healing, protect from secondary infection as well. This is going to take a long time to heal, so be prepared.

Thanks for your help! Any suggestions on how to make it warmer in there for him?

I measured temp and humidity from where he was basking using a Thermopro hydrometer. Humidity is 52 right now, but I haven't done the evening mist yet. Bulb is roughly 8 inches away from his highest perch and I've never seen him climb on the ceiling (I imagine he's too heavy for that). We've got a UVB strip light and two small basking lights, all probably about 2 years old at this point.

He's in 4 ft screen cage, maybe a foot from the ceiling, and they're in the corner of a room without fans, but that has drafts. To counteract that we've put up shower curtains around that corner.

Vet said that she wasn't sure if it was fungal or not, and would need to put him under and do a biopsy to find out, but that he looked healthy otherwise. Didn't offer any sort of antifungal, or anything at all to help him heal and the biopsy is $400, so I'm hoping to not have to do that...

Is silvadene something that I could put on to help him heal regardless of the problem? I know it will be a process, I just want to get started on it! Poor guy. :(

Silvadene will help a burn or a fungus.

If your UVB light is 2 years old it needs to be replaced before your chameleon develops MBD.
What supplements have you been using SPECIFICALLY and how often for each?

Back
Top Bottom