Skin crawling

People that don't but banded crickets are wasting their money. Shipping fees and everything, they'll still save you money with how long they live in comparison.

OP that spider looks like a common species you can find in mulch, topsoil, and grass lawns. Not particularly dangerous venom-wise. A couple of jackson's I used to have would do a lot just to score a spider!

You guys haven't lived until you've dealt with escaped nightcrawlers...all 1000+ from a newly arrived order. I used to keep terrestrial frogs and had to keep the worms in an indoor bin because our local soils would expose the frogs to chytrid fungus. Worm bins don't want lids. Ambient light keeps the nightcrawlers from living up to their name. Worms can escape almost any container if they don't like it and when an order first arrived they were more than usually frisky. My worm bin lived in the tub/shower. I hung a small light with a day/night sensor overhead to discourage roaming.

One night the lightbulb burned out. The next morning while the house was still dark, I crawled out of bed and stepped on something cold and slimy. Then another and another. Flipped on the light only to see the bedroom carpet was alive and moving...with worms all dispersing from the bathroom. So was the living room, and even worse, the kitchen. Straight out of a horror movie titled "THEY CRAWL!". All I could think about was how much each one of those lost frog meals cost. Worms in sinks, toilet, dog dishes, washing machine, and later desiccated, dead, and dying worms inside everything; dresser drawers, shoes in the closet, kitchen drawers, on window panes and sills, behind couch cushions for weeks. Also provided one of my more original excuses for being late for work.

Last edited:
OP that spider looks like a common species you can find in mulch, topsoil, and grass lawns. Not particularly dangerous venom-wise. A couple of jackson's I used to have would do a lot just to score a spider!

You guys haven't lived until you've dealt with escaped nightcrawlers...all 1000+ from a newly arrived order. I used to keep terrestrial frogs and had to keep the worms in an indoor bin because our local soils would expose the frogs to chytrid fungus. Worm bins don't want lids. Ambient light keeps the nightcrawlers from living up to their name. Worms can escape almost any container if they don't like it and when an order first arrived they were more than usually frisky. My worm bin lived in the tub/shower. I hung a small light with a day/night sensor overhead to discourage roaming.

One night the lightbulb burned out. The next morning while the house was still dark, I crawled out of bed and stepped on something cold and slimy. Then another and another. Flipped on the light only to see the bedroom carpet was alive and moving...with worms all dispersing from the bathroom. So was the living room, and even worse, the kitchen. Straight out of a horror movie titled "THEY CRAWL!". All I could think about was how much each one of those lost frog meals cost. Worms in sinks, toilet, dog dishes, washing machine, and later desiccated, dead, and dying worms inside everything; dresser drawers, shoes in the closet, kitchen drawers, on window panes and sills, behind couch cushions for weeks. Also provided one of my more original excuses for being late for work.

The 'wow' emoji doesn't do a justice for this...

I dealt with the super junior version of this, only like 50 regular earth worms. Didn't realize how good at escaping they were. Kept finding black dry twig things everywhere, turns out it was dried worms! Wife never found out or realized what they were or I would have died.

Also, and this is a creepy one... i have a pair of converse chucks I wear for lifting. My squat rack is in the basement, my bugroom is in a separate small room next to this. Well, I dropped a few hissers while packing some up. Any escapees tend to never leave the bugroom because its heated and the rest of the basement is cold so i didnt think much about it, but I guess it warmed up a little... So I put on my shoes and feel a lump in it the other day, didn't even take them off figuring it was a piece of paper or whatever that fell inside. Eventually take my shoe off and dump it out... large adult hisser, alive! I have no roach fear anymore and this even had me jump.

Last edited:
Worms can escape almost any container if they don't like it and when an order first arrived they were more than usually frisky.
BAD frisky worms! :mad:
Every live worm keeper needs their own Gollum (raw and wriggling).
You must love movies like Slither & Dreamcatcher... :rolleyes:

So spiders as a surprise would get me. Past that I actually have them in my males enclosure to catch gnats. He has no tongue or there would be no spider. I have seen him target it. kind of sad you can see his little hyoide go like it is shooting.
But here's my girl, she even left a heart to let me know she cares lol
IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1292.jpg

Back
Top Bottom