Skin Concern

milly19

New chameleon owner here. We have had our girl for about a month now. She went through her first shed but it’s been a long ongoing process and there is an area that looks more like a sore than just shedding. Any thoughts or input is appreciated. She is still very active and eating like a champ.

Attachments

• 0F1BEE7D-9417-4442-A693-B8149CBB08D8.png
    0F1BEE7D-9417-4442-A693-B8149CBB08D8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
That looks like it could be burn. How far from her basking light is her basking spot? What are the temps at the basking spot? How are you measuring temps? What wattage bulb are you using?
she does like to lay right under the lights. the temp usually stays around 88-90. she has a 75w heat bulb and a reptileUVB100 bulb. we’re using a zoo med digital thermometer. all of which was in the kit that bought when we bought her.

Would you please mind filling this out? I know it seems like a lot but because you're a new cham owner and their could be other husbandry issues that need attention that we can nip in the butt right away. Please remember we are here to help but in order to do so this form should really be filled out as complete as possible. Just copy and paste and fill out please and thank you

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

she does like to lay right under the lights. the temp usually stays around 88-90. she has a 75w heat bulb and a reptileUVB100 bulb. we’re using a zoo med digital thermometer. all of which was in the kit that bought when we bought her.
Your still not giving enough information. How far away is the basking spot? Are you using a digital thermometer with probe? A 75w basking bulb can sure get way too hot for a basking spot if it isn’t far enough away.

Just about 100% certain this is a thermal burn. Classic location for one. The actual temperature directly under the basking light at the perch she sits on is too high. You will need to adjust your temps either by lowering the basking perches or raising the lamp higher off the top of the cage. Get a better handle on what that temp actually reads. You will also need to treat this burn ASAP to avoid a secondary infection as it attempts to heal. Ask a vet for burn ointment...a good one is Silvadene. It will take a long time but it probably will heal.

I would have to agree on the thermal burns. My female had 3 when she came into my care. One has healed and the other 2 are still healing. It takes a few sheds, it will heal, but you need to make the changes first

Hi there and welcome! Also if this is the kit with the dual dome then it is a compact uvb bulb which is useless and will need to be changed to a t5ho linear ficture with uvb bulb. Please fill out the form that Camo provided and provide pics of the entire enclosure lights down.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, unsure of exact age, no more than 3-4 months, has been in my car for one month.
  • Handling - She is never handled. She moves away and sometimes hisses.
  • Feeding - Mixture of meal worms and crickets. Between 10-20 crickets per day and 8-12 meal worms.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium without D3.
  • Watering - Dripping running a few hours per day. Misting 3 times per days. We do visualize her drinking from the dripper.
  • Fecal Description - half dark and white, mushy but not runny 2-3 times per day.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 16 L X 16 W X 30 H
  • Lighting - 75w basking lamp and reptiUVB 100
  • Temperature - daytime temps between 80-90 degrees and night time temp around 70. basking lamp is off at night.
  • Humidity - unsure, not measuring?
  • Plants - no live plants
  • Placement - In the living room. No direct air. No much traffic as we are gone most of the day. Cage is sitting on a small side table.
  • Location - FL

this is what we use to measure the temperature.

Attachments

• 0DF11E35-78EE-4321-9203-854BFCEFB271.png
    0DF11E35-78EE-4321-9203-854BFCEFB271.png
    605.7 KB · Views: 61
she made a mess tonight so it needs to be cleaned and we are in the process of getting more vines. i just clarified with my bf as he is actually the who spoke with the gentleman in the pet store she was io 3-4 weeks when she came into our care.

Attachments

• 00C0E608-81E6-44C7-AB98-A92BA27FB854.jpeg
    00C0E608-81E6-44C7-AB98-A92BA27FB854.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 42
she made a mess tonight so it needs to be cleaned and we are in the process of getting more vines. i just clarified with my bf as he is actually the who spoke with the gentleman in the pet store she was io 3-4 weeks when she came into our care.
Is this the chameleon kit from? If so the lights given in the kit are not the right one. This is just the basics Sure you need and what to know

Attachments

• 82EDE21A-6AE2-4183-97AF-7E3A7A4D9334.png
    82EDE21A-6AE2-4183-97AF-7E3A7A4D9334.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 727218A3-CEE3-492C-A5C5-CF1161B233B6.png
    727218A3-CEE3-492C-A5C5-CF1161B233B6.png
    911.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 4BCB7A5B-C8AD-4017-9340-AD0CD3F80E82.png
    4BCB7A5B-C8AD-4017-9340-AD0CD3F80E82.png
    933.4 KB · Views: 59
  • B5C22579-4602-4990-A555-B915B2B232F8.png
    B5C22579-4602-4990-A555-B915B2B232F8.png
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • F61819B4-A175-445F-ADB3-6AD78F483CF8.png
    F61819B4-A175-445F-ADB3-6AD78F483CF8.png
    963.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Feeding - Mixture of meal worms and crickets. Between 10-20 crickets per day and 8-12 meal worms.
Young Chams should be fed everyday but should also be limited. 10-15 crickets is preferred no wider than the width between your Chams eyes. Mealworms are a no no due to being low in nutrition and high in ciatin which is hard to digest.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium without D3.
You should also be dusting with Calcium w/ D3 once every 2 weeks and a multivitamin once every 2 weeks. Dusting with Calcium without D3 everyday except those days.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen 16 L X 16 W X 30 H
You'll want to upgrade to a 2x2x4'
  • Lighting - 75w basking lamp and reptiUVB 100
Few things here. I'm assuming you were scammed into buying a ZooMed Chameleon Kit? This is less than ideal for a chameleon of any species IMO. You should look into getting a dimmable thermostat for your basking light or lower your Chams basking branch. You can also raise the light from the top of the cage to avoid these burns from happening again.
You'll also want to upgrade your UVB lighting. The compact bulbs are useless when it comes to providing usable UVB lighting our chameleons desperately need in order to avoid MBD. You'll want to buy a 24" T5HO with a 10.0 bulb ASAP
  • Temperature - daytime temps between 80-90 degrees and night time temp around 70. basking lamp is off at night.
Young veilds don't like anything over 85* degrees. 90* max for adults.
  • Humidity - unsure, not measuring?
You need to measure! This is as important as temperature. You'll want to get a digital hydrometer and stay between 40-70% with it being higher at night.
  • Plants - no live plants
Live plants will help keep up that humidity as well as give your chameleon a feeling of being safe and secure.
  • Location - FL
You should have no problem keeping humidity and temps up where she needs to be living here.

Pet store employees rarely know anything more than what the packaging says... I skimmed through quickly and didnt see this being mentioned; I would invest in a laser temp gun from a hardware store. They are more accurate than those zoo med digital gauges. My temp gun read almost a 10*F difference in basking temp compared to the zoo med.

Also keep in mind that when the chameleon is on the branch, its back will be 2-3 inches closer to the light so the temperature will be hotter on her back than the branch. I always adjust the branch under the light until I read my desired 89*F then lower the branch 3 inches to compensate for my chameleons height.

Back
Top Bottom