Silly habits

Nancygal

So, I am new to having a Chameleon. Have had my girl, so I've been told since April.
She's doing great, but has some weirdo things she does.
First one is that she absolutely hates getting water on her. No kidding. Not sitting there and spraying her, but when misting if it gets her she puffs up and gets an attitude. To be honest,it's quite funny when she does it. Thus why I call her my drama queen.
She is drinking fine, and oddly enough loves to catch the spray in her mouth though.
Other weirdo thing is she doesn't seem to like any worms. Tried the small meal ones, hornworms, and of course superworms as well. She looked at them and me like I was nuts. Definitely not a hand feeder, she loves to hunt, she is a hunting machine for sure.

have you tried wax worms? or dubia roaches?
No to those. I want one of those worm bowls, but don't get how when she strikes that whatever is in there won't just get knocked out as well and then I will have loose worms!! Yikes. And how the heck do you do the roaches, she's a shy eater. No kidding if she catches me out of the corner of one her eyes trying to watch when she is gonna strike, and she stops. Lol

have you tried cup feeding? I would suggest dubias as a staple in their diet rather than mealworms. Put all the feeders in the cup and that way you can better track where the feeders are and what exactly she eats. I would just place the cup in her enclosure and give her 15 minutes of privacy

Last edited:
Like a shallow cup or like an old sized coffee cup back when they weren't big enough except for a few sips? Lol

" I want one of those worm bowls, "

Not a silly habit, but ...

I'm new to chameleons, VERY NEW, but have always been an idea guy, meaning I over think everything!

For the worms, I found the DEEPEST feeder cup for birds (pet store thing - flat back) that I could find.
Found what I was looking for at the 5th or 6th pet store.

I super glued magnets - got them at Home depot - to the back flat side of the cup.
To the cup I add my "bugs" every day and then use other magnets -
on the outside of the screen side of the enclosure to hold the feeding cup in place.

If you have screen sides, you can put this wherever you want it.

Remove the outside magnets to take the feeder cup out for cleaning & refilling.

Couldn't be easier. The new kid's tongue is plenty long to get the worms etc at the bottom of the cup.
Took him less than half an hour to figure out that is where the goodies are.

Doesn't work with crickets!

I really need to start taking some pictures. Would save me a bunch of typing!

People make feeder runs. Get an old juice bottle or milk jug, turn it upside down, cut out a large hole making sure you leave a nice border to prevent bugs from escaping, hot glue some paper towel or mesh of some kind to the inside back wall so the critters can climb up it, hang it in your enclosure.

Make sure you do not use tape or sticky items as your chameleons skin is very delicate

Great ideas all, and yes Kharma is a cam, a picky one though. Lol.
Hey here's the other interesting thing she does. She stands on her hind legs, quite often while hunting. I love when she does this and shows she's getting her calcium and vitamins as she's very strong to do that!!!

Great ideas all, and yes Kharma is a cam, a picky one though. Lol.
Hey here's the other interesting thing she does. She stands on her hind legs, quite often while hunting. I love when she does this and shows she's getting her calcium and vitamins as she's very strong to do that!!!
Can we see some pics of her and her enclosure?

Here's my Kharma girl (?) Hopefully ya all can tell. I still have to fill out the husbandry dealio.

Attachments

• 20200719_150131.jpg
    20200719_150131.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200719_150341.jpg
    20200719_150341.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 78
I would say female. Fill out the husbandy form asap bc it covers everything and if there's something that needs to change the sooner the better
Yup. Plus I have to still set up a sandbox for her as well as August is coming and she just may lay eggs.

Too high up? Please dont say too small as I got the biggest one available. even though as soon as she grows out of this one I will get a Jackson, the horn type, as my understanding is they handle being handled good. Plus, why not have another living dinosaur!!!

Too high up? Please dont say too small as I got the biggest one available. even though as soon as she grows out of this one I will get a Jackson, the horn type, as my understanding is they handle being handled good. Plus, why not have another living dinosaur!!!
no it's actually the lights and the plants. The cage is fine. I'll specify what you'll need after the form gets filled.As i said this is all fixable ;)

Back
Top Bottom