Silkworms dying off...

I ordered some silkworms in the container with food and I've had them for 8 days now and half of them have died. I put them in an open container with the food they came with and they dont seem to be eating very much or growing very big at all considering how long I've had them.

Attachments

• 15943180193514620278225695441455.jpg
    15943180193514620278225695441455.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 101
I ordered some silkworms in the container with food and I've had them for 8 days now and half of them have died. I put them in an open container with the food they came with and they dont seem to be eating very much or growing very big at all considering how long I've had them.
I would inform whomever you purchased from and see what they say

I would inform whomever you purchased from and see what they say
I most definitely have and am waiting to hear back from them. I am trying to provide a good variety of food for Rosco and I haven't even had a chance to give him any. This is my first time getting them so I'm just hoping that I haven't done anything wrong.

The food looks like it is getting nasty... I always have chow that I can make as back up because it does get gross after awhile.

Silk worms are more susceptible to diseases than other feeders, i learned the hard way to wash your hands well before, and after handling silkies to prevent possible infection.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com

These guys sell silkies that are a bit harder than most, but you still need to keep cleanliness in mind when dealing with them.

The food looks like it is getting nasty... I always have chow that I can make as back up because it does get gross after awhile.
That's what I thought as well but wasn't too sure because it's my first time getting them. I do have some food from coastal silkworm that I purchased before getting the worms. Sounds like I will be making up some fresh food. Hahaha. Shouldn't the food in the container last for them though? That's how it seemed to have been advertised when I purchased them.

Silk worms are more susceptible to diseases than other feeders, i learned the hard way to wash your hands well before, and after handling silkies to prevent possible infection.

http://www.mulberryfarms.com

These guys sell silkies that are a bit harder than most, but you still need to keep cleanliness in mind when dealing with them.
Ok. Thank you for that. I haven't handled them but I did use my tongs that I keep clean. That is good to know.

That's what I thought as well but wasn't too sure because it's my first time getting them. I do have some food from coastal silkworm that I purchased before getting the worms. Sounds like I will be making up some fresh food. Hahaha. Shouldn't the food in the container last for them though? That's how it seemed to have been advertised when I purchased them.
If it is the 1/2 lb bag... Do some math and split it into 1/4 of the amount or you are going to have way to much food lol.

Depends on temps and if your dumping the poop etc... If in shipment the temps are high and the house is warm the food gets gross. I never count on the food that is with them making it because of this. I always have back up fresh food.

Back
Top Bottom