Silkworms as staple feeder????

Nikster199

I have been looking into keeping silkworms as they are not noises or smelly like crickets. And the have a pretty similar nutritional value. I will rotate feeding silkworms and crickets as well as other worms. I was thinking 1 week silkworms and 1 week crickets as well as feeding other things in between and vegetables/fruit. Or would it be fine to feed only silkworms and other worms and occasional crickets?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 323
I would mix them up having several feeders a week. Silks are great if you can keep them. I can't find a reliable supplier in UK . Hatched my own but out of 300 I'm left with 3 and haven't fed any yet. Good luck. Pm me if you have any spare.:)
Welcome to the forum.

I would mix them up having several feeders a week. Silks are great if you can keep them. I can't find a reliable supplier in UK . Hatched my own but out of 300 I'm left with 3 and haven't fed any yet. Good luck. Pm me if you have any spare.:)
Welcome to the forum.

Thank yeah I will mix it up abit and I'm thinking about buying from http://www.silkwormstore.co.uk/ I'm gonna buy live ones first then try eggs and if not then I will just have to feed crickets mainly

Silks are very time consuming but very worth it . Check out pigglett79 blogs, they will tell you all you need to know. I now breed my own but the last lot didn't do well. If you are getting a baby Cham I wouldn't order too many as they grow very fast. You can also get micro locusts, fruit flies. Curly winged flys. They are all suitable for a baby.

You need to provide a variety of prey. no one type of prey should make up more than 50% of the chameleons diet, and preferably no more than 20%. So yes, your plan to rotate prey choices is the better plan.

You could use silkworms for up to 40% of your chams diet, if you gutload them well on a variety of things, and provide other prey for the reamining 60% so long as you include something crunchy (chinton, shell etc) for roughage. Too many soft-bodied feeders aren't good on their own - you need to balance it for the chams digestion.
kinda like how humans need fibre and not too much soft fruit ;)

Crickets are good because they are easily gutloaded on a variety of things - if you buy crickets that are not yet mature, they are not noisy - only adult males make the annoying cricketing sounds. If you are only buying like 10 crickets at a time, its nothing to use scissors to cut the wings off any adult males, thus silencing them.

Back
Top Bottom