Silkworm variety what do you think 🤔

Madmango

Established Member
I have been raising silkworm for almost a year now. I was looking at some of the other variety’s you can get. They are more expensive and my understanding is that the nutritional value is the same. Is this what you have found as well?
What are your thoughts on some of the varieties like Zebra, and black tiger.

They’re gorgeous but are too expensive for me to buy, along with the green and pink cocoon versions as well. If I were to keep them as pets or breed to sell them, I’d pay for them, but not for feeders. One of my chams hated the zebras and my other one loved them (they got mixed in to my order of regulars somehow).

They’re gorgeous but are too expensive for me to buy, along with the green and pink cocoon versions as well. If I were to keep them as pets or breed to sell them, I’d pay for them, but not for feeders. One of my chams hated the zebras and my other one loved them (they got mixed in to my order of regulars somehow).
Thanks for your insight 👍🏻

If you’re willing to pay, you can buy some of each variety, and do an experiment of which type your cham likes best!
That’s a great idea. I just don’t know if they are worth the extra $9. My chams like the cheap one🤣

the other variety’s are very pretty though.

I’ve noticed the zebra being a bit hardier. The blacks or reverse zebra have lower hatch rates (per coastal silkworms), but seem pretty hardy, as well. I’ve had one person tell me their cham won’t eat the black ones... maybe they aren’t recognizing them as silkworms, but my guys love them all.

“Normals” seem to get larger than the others as they get close to cocooning, and the moths seem bigger, too.

I would start with normals as they are cheapest, and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom