Silkworm v Hornworm

Calypso

Trying to add more feeders to panther diet, and can't make my mind up between these two worms. I know silks have calcium content and not sure about horns. I know both are good for hydration. So with the calcium in mind I'm thinking silks.

horns are basically water. so if you need to hydrate go for it.

if you want nutrition, go with silks.

or both. :)

horns are basically water. so if you need to hydrate go for it.

if you want nutrition, go with silks.

or both. :)

Horns aren't basically water, that's cutting them a bit short. Horn worms actually have a very high calcium content (higher than silkworms) at 46.4mg and very low fat content in just 3.07% according to greatlakes.

But both silkies and horn worm are great for a variety in your chameleon and I would recommend either one of them as part of your general feeders.

also another thing to keep in mind though, is generally speaking I find horn worms to be much heartier and easier to keep, silkies on the other hand are notorious for getting "sick" if you are not sterile with them and keep them in optimal conditions, potentially causing mass die offs rapidly. But if your careful, and clean you can usually avoid that.

Another thing is Hornworms also outgrow silkworms by leaps and bounds both in final adult size, and in how rapidly they grow, so unless you have an adult chameleon, they may outgrow him/her before you feed them all off. :)

What's the best place for silks?

you can get silks or hormworms from, the following, plus many more if you google

mulberryfarms
costalsilkworms
greatlakehornworms
lindagonebuggie

I have ordered from all of the above and they all have always done me well, would recommend any.

Trying to add more feeders to panther diet, and can't make my mind up between these two worms. I know silks have calcium content and not sure about horns. I know both are good for hydration. So with the calcium in mind I'm thinking silks.

also if your looking for strictly a feeder to boost calcium, butterworms have a very high calcium content as well, and are the easiest of all 3 to care for lol

My guy is just 3 months, and I definitely know what you mean by the rapid growth of hornworms. The silks for his size may be best. Hmmmm, maybe ill get a little of both.

I just special ordered cultures of both horn and silk worms through my local privately owned pet store right down the road from me. Right now, I have about a dozen butterworms (which are TOTALLY gross btw), waxworms(as treats only), and superworms (also as treats only). I also have free range crix in the cage at all times and a cup of dusted ones a couple times a day. I have a veiled and I THINK they're pretty much the same keeping as panthers. My girl, Zelda, is about 6 months old so she's pretty small still, too.

Good luck! I hope I've helped!:)

Also, if you can't find those kinds of worms in your local pet store, you can try asking them to special order them for you. I just checked with my local store right down the road and they were more than happy to special order some for me. They are a small business and I'd rather get from them than through a chain store. (Just in my opinion).

Good luck!

I like horn worms an so does my guy
a4u7uvat.jpg

I just special ordered cultures of both horn and silk worms through my local privately owned pet store right down the road from me. Right now, I have about a dozen butterworms (which are TOTALLY gross btw), waxworms(as treats only), and superworms (also as treats only). I also have free range crix in the cage at all times and a cup of dusted ones a couple times a day. I have a veiled and I THINK they're pretty much the same keeping as panthers. My girl, Zelda, is about 6 months old so she's pretty small still, too.

Good luck! I hope I've helped!:)

I would be very careful free ranging crickets in chams viv. They are capable of giving a good bite.:D

Oh yeah, I only give him enough to eat within ten minutes an if he's really hungry ill throw in an extra dozen. What's the word on zebra worms? I really don't know much about them, and getting ready to do some online research. Ordered Phoenix, silkworms, and butterworms today and looking to add more.

Oh yeah, I only give him enough to eat within ten minutes an if he's really hungry ill throw in an extra dozen. What's the word on zebra worms? I really don't know much about them, and getting ready to do some online research. Ordered Phoenix, silkworms, and butterworms today and looking to add more.

My understanding of the "zebra worm" is its just a genetic variation for a different color and or pattern than the "plain silkworm" but its still a silk worm, just the same as any other species of living creature having different appearance than another of the same species due to their genetic makeup.

Other than that, they are the same as any other type of silk worm out there.

sounds like you have a large amount of feeders too :) by the ones you listed out silks, phoenix, butter, and crix you should have all your bases covered there! (and the silks, phoenix, and butters all have high calcium content which is great for younglings)

I would be very careful free ranging crickets in chams viv. They are capable of giving a good bite.:D

Yes, I know that! Fortunately, the crickets I get seem more interested in eating each other! (Cannibalistic Crawlies!) I also only put in a few extra free range so if she's hungry during the day she can hunt and munch.

Sometimes when I have them free ranging ill throw in some bug burger or something they're used to. That way they are much less likely to take a bite out of the Cham, and go more towards what they're use to. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom