Silkworm purchasing

Grayson Payne

Avid Member
Hey everyone! I am looking at starting to raise silkworms! I have a 4-5 month old panther chameleon and was wondering where the best places to buy silkworms are. Right now, I am looking at buying eggs, live silkworms, and chow from the same place/person. I can always order the chow from a website but if anyone has any recommendations for eggs and live silks please let me know! Currently, I get all of my bugs from Josh's frogs with the exception of Dubias. I buy those from my local pet store, and boy are they expensive there... So if anyone wants to help me with that problem, be my guest!

Mori feeders has never let me down with live worms. They come in healthy, with a few extra as a buffer in case some perish in transit or die on you. Shipping charge is cheaper than most out there and they arrive fast.

For eggs, I've gotten them twice from Coastal Silkworms and had no issues with hatching. They also sell the mulberry chow. Just keep in mind, when you get eggs, unless you pay for overnight shipping on ice, you need to hatch all eggs when they arrive. If you refrigerate the eggs, they will die. The batch of eggs (250) I recently got, I hatched all 250 which I regret, I wish I only hatched 100 or so and let the others perish as eggs. I, like you, have only 1 chameleon, and mine is an adult and is not as hungry as a baby/juvenile. I will probably give some of the worms to my local pet store so they don't go to waste. I may need to buy another 1/2 of powder to grow them to a decent size.

If you want to start a way to always have eggs on hand, allow a few of your purchased worms or egg hatchlings to cocoon and then allow the moths to mate & have eggs. Those eggs you can refrigerate and then take some out as needed.

Mori feeders has never let me down with live worms. They come in healthy, with a few extra as a buffer in case some perish in transit or die on you. Shipping charge is cheaper than most out there and they arrive fast.

For eggs, I've gotten them twice from Coastal Silkworms and had no issues with hatching. They also sell the mulberry chow. Just keep in mind, when you get eggs, unless you pay for overnight shipping on ice, you need to hatch all eggs when they arrive. If you refrigerate the eggs, they will die. The batch of eggs (250) I recently got, I hatched all 250 which I regret, I wish I only hatched 100 or so and let the others perish as eggs. I, like you, have only 1 chameleon, and mine is an adult and is not as hungry as a baby/juvenile. I will probably give some of the worms to my local pet store so they don't go to waste. I may need to buy another 1/2 of powder to grow them to a decent size.

If you want to start a way to always have eggs on hand, allow a few of your purchased worms or egg hatchlings to cocoon and then allow the moths to mate & have eggs. Those eggs you can refrigerate and then take some out as needed.
That would be ideal. I really want to have eggs on hand to take out of the fridge every so often and hatch over a few weeks and then feed off.

Yeah, that's what I'm working on myself. That was my plan the first time not knowing that you cannot refrigerate purchased eggs unless the seller ships them chilled cold enough.

Another easy feeder is dubia roaches, if your chameleon will eat them. I can sell you a nice starter colony if you want.

Yeah, that's what I'm working on myself. That was my plan the first time not knowing that you cannot refrigerate purchased eggs unless the seller ships them chilled cold enough.

Another easy feeder is dubia roaches, if your chameleon will eat them. I can sell you a nice starter colony if you want.
I feed dubias but since he's only five months or so he can only eat them so big...

@snitz427 do you have silks? My favorite person for silks... and supporting an active forum member as well. I sell dubia among a ton of other roaches, but my dubia are running a little low lately.

Any tips for preventing it from drying & hardening? This is what I struggle with.

When small i split the 1/2 bag into 3 and only made that much. Now that they are bigger i do a whole bag. Let cool and refrigerate.

20200529_230507.jpg

Chow left and bug burger for my roaches on right.

Yeah I'm fine with storing it, it's when its in the containers with the worms that it dries and hardens, before being consumed.

Oh also when small roll it up in your hands, here is a pic when they hatched. Only put in a small amount and give more as needed.

20200424_212027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom