Silkworm Pictures

Dave

Avid Member
Just thought I'd share some of these pictures. A couple of pictures of my zebra silkworm stock (120+ for $17 shipped for those interested) and one of Liz tearing into one of the lil guys. I love nest and eating pictures ;-)

6043d1221752821-zebra-silkworms-16.jpg

Look, lil babies!
6044d1221752829-zebra-silkworms-17.jpg

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 160
Very interesting I tired to keep silkies for a while but all died...:(
could you give me tips/ideas on how you have bred them and how you keep them alive!?!:eek::(

Sure, keeping them alive seems to be something a lot of people have a problem with. Key thing - No Humidity. Or rather too much humidity will kill the lil guys, so I aim for as little humidity as possible. Keep them out of their poop, they'll die. Keep away from pesticides of all types. And keep the temp above 72 but below 90, room temp works. As far as breeding them, that goes into having them cuccoon into moths, mate, lay eggs and then hatch over a week or 2.

I'll say it's a lot easier to buy a MiniPod of 100 of these lil guys than raising them up from eggs, that's for sure. The MiniPod that I designed acts a lot like how a pod does, simply turn the cup upside down and it empties the poop on the lid, pick out the silkies from the poop then empty the poop with the lid. It already has all the food these guys need for their lifespan, and actually I'd recommend getting an order of 200 as there is SO much food I put in these things. I also put a food covered mesh screen in the middle that the silkies like to climb to get out of their poop.

Just gotta get a lil inventive with it bud :)

-Dave
-Georgia Bugs

Darn it......I orderd 240 and only about 50 arrived alive :( I think the food suffocated them:mad:....I need the replacements shipped ASAP without the mass amount of food please :eek:

Thank You!

In your photos, it looks like you have the silkworm chow directly on the bottom of the plastic tub. Do you recommend this? How do you keep them out of their poop this way? I would like to try it.

Allen Newkirk

Back
Top Bottom