Silkworm eggs

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I have read from a few sources now that refrigerating eggs after they are laid can increase the hatching rate. Does anyone do this? Sounds odd to me. One article advised to keep them in the fridge for a month. I am not talking about storing eggs, but something else people are recommending for newly laid eggs.

The eggs should be refridgerated for a minimum of a month. I believe this has to do with their wild life cycle--eggs overwinter and then hatch the following spring. The cooling period is a natural "holding period" so the eggs don't hatch when there isn't food and ensures that there will be animals next year. The E-Zine article on silkworms is the best information on them that I'm aware of if you haven't already read it: http://www.chameleonnews.com/silkworms.html

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I have actually read that article a few times. Very detailed and well written. I am impressed with all the articles at ChameleonNews.

The cooling period is a natural "holding period" so the eggs don't hatch when there isn't food and ensures that there will be animals next year.
I can understand this, nature's secret way of preserving eggs during the winter. What about the summer months though? There has to be some decent hatching rates during the warmer months. I read the article again, and the author does mention the eggs can sometimes hatch without the 'holding period' when given a specific environment. I might have to do a little experiment myself. I have a couple dozen cocoons that should be producing moths any day now :).

Back
Top Bottom