silkworm eggs or live?

• eggs

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • live

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
i am looking for info on how many people buy their silkworms as hatched larvae or eggs? please answer the poll to help me figure out how many of each to provide in the future ^^

i haven't raised silkworms on a large scale in a couple years i think now and the scale i will now be able to do will be much larger than i ever have. i am just not sure where to lean more.

5k minimum just worms, preferably 10k
5k in sellable eggs, maybe 20k

keeping behind eggs for new generations every hatch and such.

I buy the eggs because I have quite a few lizards and it would be way too expensive to buy live worms. Even buying the eggs they are kind of expensive but I do believe all insectivorous reptiles should be provided with a variety of food items.

I buy the eggs because I have quite a few lizards and it would be way too expensive to buy live worms. Even buying the eggs they are kind of expensive but I do believe all insectivorous reptiles should be provided with a variety of food items.

do you currently prefer whites or zebra eggs?

Mine are a mix of both. I don't know if there is a difference other then color.

One thing I know for sure is that my chams don't care either way haha .

Zebras have mildly stronger genetics so i prefer them for crossbreeding into hybrids and then breeding whites back in to encourage high egg output.

My hybrids turned out to have a greenish-yellow patterning last time i bred them. Next time i hatch i will take pics.

so current ratio has changed to

25000 eggs
and 5000-10000 worms

300 eggs for 11.00 i think would be the price on eggs
and 100 worms for 14.00

these numbers are all guesstimates currently and may change while this poll is up. But i wanted people to be able to voice their opinions.

i plan to be able to offer sampler packs with silkworms as well, and also would love to do regular sales on live worms when i realize i need to sell mediums-larges because of numbers etc. Thanks to everyone for helping hash out my ideas and push me in the right direction.

I like eggs because I have various animals that eat them, but at various sizes. I can feed off at sizes that work best. I haven't had the best luck getting them to cocoon & reproduce on their own, but maybe in the future!

About 8 months ago I bought about 100 eggs to raise them as food for my hedgehog. It was my first time raising them and most of them died, the remaining 7 became moths, bred and laid eggs on a piece of paper I provided. I gave those hundreds of eggs away to a friend. It's too much of a hassle to raise them.

just so everyone knows, these will not be pure white silkworms. i will once again be working on extending my hybrid lineage. they should have three different strains of bombyx mori in them and another type of silkworm. Which is why my cost is more around the zebra strain cost. This genetic line i have worked with to be stronger and able to hatch at slightly.lower temps. They however are still silkworms and still a more sensitive feeder insect.

Back
Top Bottom