silkworm breeding setup. Thoughts or advice?

Whammo72

Hi, I raised a bunch of silkies from eggs and have a couple of dozen I am setting aside to try and cocoon and breed the moths.

Here is the setup I have so far and a picture of the size of the silkworm.

Im kind of winging it here mostly but other then the cocooning box they will be kept in the mid 80's in my roach closet/

Comments or advice appreciated!!

Thanks!

silkworms.jpg

silkworms3.jpg

silkworms2.jpg

looks pretty good, i have mated silkie moths pretty easily and all i used was a tote with some paper towels on the bottom and had success.

The setup looks pretty sweet.
But they silks seem a bit small still.
Hope it works for you, if it does I'm tempted to do it too.

Is it according to size of the silkworm or the age that you know that it is ready to make the cocoon??

Is it according to size of the silkworm or the age that you know that it is ready to make the cocoon??

they are a bit small to cocoon.. it looks like you need at least 5 more days!

and also, those leaves are pretty young. Has the trees just leaved out and you were using chow?

kati, thats one thing, I dont KNOW when they are ready to cocoon so i seperated the ones i wanted to cocoon into that container. I know they can get three inches or so right? they are not quite that big but almost.

lady, they were started out on chow and for the last three weeks or so have been eating leaves only (yes the leaves have just come out enough to harvest). Think that will be a problem? I have 2000 more eggs coming on tuesday that i can start from leaves (young tender ones) if that will be better.

Im breeding silkworms too. Their fun and so cute!

Your set up is way nicer than mine. I just have mine in a tubowear with some ripped in half pappertowel rolls.

Do you not have trouble with them making their cocoon on the outside of the toilet role if placed like that...they seem spiteful, I want them to cocoon inside and they show me they wont

No trouble at all. If you are worried put in less paper rolls at an angle. Mine usually climb right in and start spinning.

I can post pictures when I get home? I just had two of my second batch start spinning yesterday.

No trouble at all. If you are worried put in less paper rolls at an angle. Mine usually climb right in and start spinning.

I can post pictures when I get home? I just had two of my second batch start spinning yesterday.

Most of them find their way but some are stupid...will try another config

most inside and some outside

Is it any sort of problem if they are outside?

Another question, is it ok to remove them and transfer to another container? I have over 35 now and counting. They look so much like eggs Im hesitant to alter their orientation. LOL.

I move mine. I cut them out gently and set them aside in a container with papertowel at the bottom.

When the moths hatch they spew all the liquid from their bodies, its kind of a gross red/orange substance. Try not to mess with them too much. They don't eat or drink...just mate.

I fed a few of the moths to my chameleon. He loves them.

kati, thats one thing, I dont KNOW when they are ready to cocoon so i seperated the ones i wanted to cocoon into that container. I know they can get three inches or so right? they are not quite that big but almost.

lady, they were started out on chow and for the last three weeks or so have been eating leaves only (yes the leaves have just come out enough to harvest). Think that will be a problem? I have 2000 more eggs coming on tuesday that i can start from leaves (young tender ones) if that will be better.

same here. Leaves just out.

you can start them on leaves.. but it is a lot of work!
yeah they tend to spin outside the toilet rolls. :cool:

Update. I now have over 50 cocoons and more coming every day. I have moved them to a container on paper towels. :)

Awesome. You are gonna have a ton of eggs! Probably a good idea to feed off some of the moths before they breed.

WHOA... After I posted that i went to check on the worms and cocoons and i have a moth! ONE! lol

..smaller then i thought they would be. I guess most of the pictures i've seen are close ups. heh.

I had 2000 new eggs hatch in the incubator yesterday and got their first meal this morning. Good thing the animals love them! :)

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom