Silkmoths never emerge

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
For years I've tried to get silk moths. My worms cocoon just fine, but I can never get them to emerge. Any tips? I just out them in a container with holes and wait and they never ever emerge.

The temp is ambient in mh house so around 72 and the humidity is pretty low -- 50-55. Can I put them in my chameleon enclosure and see if they emerge in those conditions?

Lasts year was my first time doing the silkworms.. Silkworm Journey thread-- lots of pictures too.
I found out that: I am sure others already know but it was an exciting journey for me and the help I received was awesome.. (y)
1. You can hear the moths in the egg which I helped some out. (tweezers and picking at the end)
2. You can candle the cocoon and see the moths inside. Some I helped.
So, at around 2 to 3 weeks, I would get a pen light and also place near ear to listen.. JMO
Good Luck!

Lasts year was my first time doing the silkworms.. Silkworm Journey thread-- lots of pictures too.
I found out that: I am sure others already know but it was an exciting journey for me and the help I received was awesome.. (y)
1. You can hear the moths in the egg which I helped some out. (tweezers and picking at the end)
2. You can candle the cocoon and see the moths inside. Some I helped.
So, at around 2 to 3 weeks, I would get a pen light and also place near ear to listen.. JMO
Good Luck!
Thank you!

I move my cocoons and there have been times when they’ve not only gotten jostled, but a bad kitten knocked their container down. I always have a small percentage that never emerge, but usually most do. If I recall correctly, I think there were more that never did in the batch the kitten knocked down.

In last phase they stop eating and turn slightly yellow this is when ready to spin. Introduce a spinning box (egg holder crate works well) silk farmers use purpose built compartments of around 2inch. That way you can move the spun cocoon's in the egg cases if needed

Back
Top Bottom